Antara Generic Name: Fenofibrate
Examples include Antara and Tricor
Antara is used for:
Controlling high cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. It is used in combination with a diet that is low in cholesterol and saturated fat.
Antara is a lipid-lowering agent. It works by lowering elevated blood triglyceride levels by making the liver produce fewer triglycerides and increasing the elimination of triglycerides from the blood stream.
Do NOT use Antara if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Antara
- you have gallbladder problems, liver problems (including cirrhosis, hepatitis), or severe kidney problems (eg, kidney failure)
- you are breast-feeding or pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Antara :
Some medical conditions may interact with Antara . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, an underactive thyroid, heart blood vessel problems, gallstones, kidney problems, or certain muscle problems (myopathy)
- if you have a history of pancreatitis or blood clots in your veins (deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism)
- if you are very overweight, have an inactive lifestyle, or you drink large amounts of alcohol
- if you are taking a beta-blocker (eg, propranolol), estrogen, or thiazide diuretic (eg, hydrochlorothiazide)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Antara . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, simvastatin) because the risk of serious muscle problems leading to kidney failure may be increased
- Immunosuppressants (eg, cyclosporine) or other medicines that may harm the kidney (eg, aminoglycoside antibiotics [eg, gentamicin], amphotericin B, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs] [eg, ibuprofen], tacrolimus, vancomycin) because they may decrease Antara 's excretion and increase the risk of its side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Antara
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Antara may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Antara :
Use Antara as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Antara by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Antara whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing. Do not take chipped or broken tablets.
- Take Antara with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you also take a bile acid-binding resin (eg, cholestyramine), do not take it within 4 to 6 hours before or 1 hour after taking Antara . Check with your doctor if you have any questions.
- Take Antara on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of Antara , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Antara .
Important safety information:
- Antara may cause dizziness or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Antara with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are using Antara .
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Follow the diet, exercise, and weight reduction program given to you by your health care provider.
- Report any unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness to your doctor right away, especially if you also have a fever or general body discomfort.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, blood cholesterol, and other blood tests, may be performed while you use Antara . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Antara with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Antara should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Antara while you are pregnant. It is not known if Antara is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Antara .
Possible side effects of Antara :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Headache; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); calf pain; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; increased coughing or coughing up blood; muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness (with or without fever and fatigue); pale stools; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent dizziness or lightheadedness; severe or persistent nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting; severe pain or swelling in the ankles, feet, or legs; shortness of breath; unusual bruising or bleeding; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Antara :
Store Antara between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) in a moisture-protective container. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Antara out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Antara , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Antara is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Antara . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Antara Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Antara Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Fenofibrate Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Fenofibrate Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Fenofibrate Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lipofen Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lofibra Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Tricor Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Tricor Consumer Overview
- Triglide Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Triglide Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)