Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum Generic Name:
Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum (pra-MOX-een/FEN-il-EF-rin/GLIS-er-in/PET-roe-LAY-tum)Brand Name:
Preparation H Cream
Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum is used for:
Relieving pain, soreness, burning, itching, and discomfort of the anal area caused by hemorrhoids. It also temporarily shrinks hemorrhoidal tissue.
Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum is a topical anesthetic, vasoconstrictor, and skin protectant. It works by blocking pain signals from the nerve endings in the skin and shrinking swollen tissue.
Do NOT use Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum :
Some medical conditions may interact with Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems, high blood pressure, thyroid problems, diabetes, or trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate
- if you are taking medicines for high blood pressure or depression
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum . Because little, if any, of Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum :
Use Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum is for use around the external rectal area or in the lower anal canal only.
- Wash your hands before and after using Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum .
- If possible, gently cleanse the affected area by patting or blotting with an appropriate cleansing wipe. Dry by patting or blotting with a tissue or soft cloth before you apply Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum .
- To apply externally, apply a small about of medicine to the affected area and gently rub in until evenly distributed.
- To apply Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum in the lower anal canal, remove the cover from the dispensing cap. Attach the cap to the tube and lubricate it well with the medicine. Gently insert the dispensing cap partway into the anus. Apply the medicine as directed.
- Clean the dispensing cap after each use. Replace the cover.
- Do NOT insert Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum into the rectum using your fingers or any type of applicator.
- If you miss a dose of Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum and you are using it regularly, apply it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum .
Important safety information:
- Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum is for use around the external rectal area or in the lower anal canal only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days, if they become worse, or if bleeding occurs, check with your doctor.
- Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum while you are pregnant. It is not known if Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum . Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bleeding from the rectum; new or worsening redness, pain, swelling, or irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum :
Store at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 20 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Pramoxine/Phenylephrine/Glycerin/Petrolatum . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.