Requip Generic Name: Ropinirole
Requip is used for:
Treating Parkinson disease and restless leg syndrome (RLS). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Requip is a dopamine agonist. It works in certain areas of the brain to reduce the symptoms of RLS and Parkinson disease.
Do NOT use Requip if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Requip
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Requip :
Some medical conditions may interact with Requip . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems, high or low blood pressure, liver disease, mental or mood problems, or a sleep disorder
- if you smoke, drink alcohol, or have a personal or family history of addiction (eg, gambling, alcohol)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Requip . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Entacapone or levodopa because the risk of hallucinations may be increased
- Benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam), medicines for mental or mood problems (eg, antidepressants, antipsychotics), or medicines for sleep (eg, zolpidem) because the risk of severe drowsiness may be increased
- Estrogens (eg, estradiol), fluvoxamine, or quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin) because they may increase the risk of Requip 's side effects
- Butyrophenones (eg, haloperidol), metoclopramide, omeprazole, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), or thioxanthenes (eg, thiothixene) because they may decrease Requip 's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Requip may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Requip :
Use Requip as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Requip . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Requip by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Requip or change your dose without checking with your doctor. Certain severe side effects (eg, abnormal thinking, confusion, fever, stiff muscles) may occur. If you need to stop Requip or add a new medicine, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Requip , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Requip .
Important safety information:
- Requip may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Requip with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Requip ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Requip may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Some people who use Requip may experience sudden onset of severe drowsiness or may even fall asleep during normal daily activities (eg, eating, talking, driving). This could occur without warning. If this happens, do not drive, operate machinery, or perform other possibly unsafe tasks while you use Requip . Tell your doctor right away.
- Some people have experienced new, unusual, or increased urges (eg, gambling, sexual urges) while using Requip . Tell your doctor right away if you notice such effects.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Patients with Parkinson disease may have an increased risk of developing a certain type of skin cancer (melanoma). It is not known if Requip also increases the risk of melanoma. You may need to have skin exams while you are using Requip . Tell your doctor if you notice any unusual skin growths or a change in the appearance of a mole. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- If you are taking Requip for RLS, contact your doctor if you experience new or worsening symptoms, especially in the early morning hours.
- Use Requip with caution in ELDERLY patients with Parkinson disease; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially hallucinations.
- Requip should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Requip while you are pregnant. It is not known if Requip is found in breast milk. Requip may decrease breast milk production. Do not breast-feed while taking Requip .
Possible side effects of Requip :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; fatigue; headache; increased sweating; lightheadedness; loss of appetite; nausea; sore throat or flu-like symptoms; stomach pain or upset; tiredness; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); anxiety; blood in the urine; blurred vision; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; fainting; falling asleep during the daytime or during normal activities (eg, conversations, eating); fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; impotence; joint stiffness or pain; nightmares; numbness or tingling of the skin; severe or persistent headache or dizziness; shortness of breath; swelling of the arms or legs; uncontrolled muscle movements.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; chest pain; difficulty moving; facial muscle spasms; hallucinations; low blood pressure when sitting or lying down.Proper storage of Requip :
Store Requip at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Requip out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Requip , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Requip is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Requip . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Requip Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Requip Consumer Overview
- Requip Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Requip Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Ropinirole Prescribing Information (FDA)