Requip XL Extended-Release TabletsGeneric Name: Ropinirole
Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets are used for:
Treating Parkinson disease. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets are a dopamine agonist. It works in certain areas of the brain to reduce the symptoms of Parkinson disease.
Do NOT use Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems, high or low blood pressure, liver disease, mental or mood problems, or a sleep disorder
- if you smoke, drink alcohol, or have a personal or family history of addiction (eg, alcohol, gambling)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Entacapone or levodopa because the risk of hallucinations may be increased
- Benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam), medicines for mental or mood problems (eg, antidepressants, antipsychotics), or medicines for sleep (eg, zolpidem) because the risk of severe drowsiness may be increased
- Estrogens (eg, estradiol), fluvoxamine, or quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin) because they may increase the risk of Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets's side effects
- Butyrophenones (eg, haloperidol), metoclopramide, omeprazole, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), or thioxanthenes (eg, thiothixene) because they may decrease Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets:
Use Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Swallow Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets or change your dose without checking with your doctor. Certain severe side effects (eg, abnormal thinking, confusion, fever, stiff muscles) may occur. If you need to stop Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets or add a new medicine, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- Take Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If you miss several doses of Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets, contact your doctor for instructions.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Some people who use Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets may experience sudden onset of severe drowsiness or may even fall asleep during normal daily activities (eg, driving, eating, talking). This could occur without warning. If this happens, do not drive, operate machinery, or perform other possibly unsafe tasks while you use Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets. Tell your doctor right away.
- Some people have experienced new, unusual, or increased urges (eg, gambling, sexual urges) while using Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets. Tell your doctor right away if you notice such effects.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Patients with Parkinson disease may have an increased risk of developing a certain type of skin cancer (melanoma). It is not known if Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets also increases the risk of melanoma. You may need to have skin exams while you are using Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Use Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets with caution in ELDERLY patients with Parkinson disease; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially hallucinations.
- Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets are found in breast milk. Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets may decrease breast milk production. Do not breast-feed while taking Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets.
Possible side effects of Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; fatigue; headache; increased sweating; lightheadedness; loss of appetite; nausea; sore throat or flu-like symptoms; stomach pain or upset; tiredness; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); anxiety; blood in the urine; blurred vision; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; fainting; falling asleep during the daytime or normal daily activities (eg, conversations, eating); fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; impotence; joint stiffness or pain; nightmares; numbness or tingling of the skin; severe or persistent headache or dizziness; shortness of breath; swelling of the arms or legs; uncontrolled muscle movements; unusual skin growths or change in the appearance of a mole.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; fainting; hallucinations; severe or persistent dizziness or drowsiness; uncontrolled muscle movements (eg, of the arms, legs, face); vomiting.Proper storage of Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets:
Store Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Requip XL Extended-Release Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Requip XL Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Ropinirole Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Requip Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Requip Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Requip Consumer Overview