Rescon-GG LiquidGeneric Name: Guaifenesin/Phenylephrine
Examples include Entex and Rescon-GG
Rescon-GG Liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Rescon-GG Liquid is a decongestant and expectorant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and shrinking swollen and congested nasal tissues (mucous membranes) and by thinning and loosening mucus in the airway. This allows you to breathe more easily and makes coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Rescon-GG Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Rescon-GG Liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Rescon-GG Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Rescon-GG Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, tumor), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, an enlarged prostate, seizures, or an overactive thyroid
- if you have chronic cough
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Rescon-GG Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Rescon-GG Liquid's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because its side effects may be increased by Rescon-GG Liquid
- Guanethidine, guanadrel, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Rescon-GG Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Rescon-GG Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Rescon-GG Liquid:
Use Rescon-GG Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Rescon-GG Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Take Rescon-GG Liquid with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL) unless your doctor directs otherwise.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Rescon-GG Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Rescon-GG Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Rescon-GG Liquid may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Rescon-GG Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Rescon-GG Liquid without checking with you doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Rescon-GG Liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Rescon-GG Liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Rescon-GG Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Rescon-GG Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Rescon-GG Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Rescon-GG Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Rescon-GG Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Rescon-GG Liquid.
Possible side effects of Rescon-GG Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Rescon-GG Liquid:
Store Rescon-GG Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Rescon-GG Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Rescon-GG Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rescon-GG Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Rescon-GG Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rescon-GG Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Despec Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Quintex Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)