Rescriptor Generic Name: Delavirdine
HIV quickly develops resistance when delavirdine is used alone. Therefore, delavirdine must always be used with other proven combinations of anti-HIV medicines.
Rescriptor is used for:
Treating HIV-1 infection. It must be used in combination with at least 2 other anti-HIV medicines.
Rescriptor is a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI). It works by inhibiting the growth of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
Do NOT use Rescriptor if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Rescriptor
- you are taking a benzodiazepine (eg, alprazolam), cisapride, an ergot alkaloid (eg, ergotamine), an H1 antagonist (eg, astemizole, terfenadine), or pimozide
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Rescriptor :
Some medical conditions may interact with Rescriptor . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Rescriptor . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), rifampin, or St. John's wort because the effectiveness of Rescriptor may be decreased
- Benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam), cisapride, ergot alkaloids (eg, ergotamine), H1 antagonists (eg, astemizole, terfenadine), HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, simvastatin), pimozide, or sildenafil because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Rescriptor may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Rescriptor :
Use Rescriptor as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Rescriptor may be taken with or without food. Patients with achlorhydria (low stomach acid levels) should take Rescriptor with an acidic drink, such as orange or cranberry juice.
- Rescriptor comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Rescriptor refilled.
- Do not take antacids or didanosine within 1 hour of taking Rescriptor .
- Take Rescriptor on a regular schedule around the clock, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Rescriptor may be swallowed whole or dissolved in water. To dissolve, add the tablets to at least 3 ounces (90 mL) of water. Allow the medicine to stand in the water for a few minutes. Stir the mixture, then drink it immediately. Rinse the glass with water and drink the rinse to be sure the entire dose is taken.
- It is important not to miss any doses of Rescriptor . If you miss a dose of Rescriptor , take it as soon as you remember. If it is within 2 hours of your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Rescriptor .
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose of Rescriptor without checking with your doctor. Exceeding the recommended dose of Rescriptor may not provide additional benefits and may increase the risk of side effects.
- Rescriptor is not a cure for HIV infection and patients may continue to acquire illnesses and infections associated with HIV. Remain under the care of your doctor.
- Rescriptor offers no protection from the transmission of HIV to others through sexual contact or blood contamination. Use barrier forms of contraception (eg, condoms) if you are infected with HIV. Do not share needles, other injection equipment, or personal items such as toothbrushes or razor blades.
- You may develop a rash while taking Rescriptor . Some rash symptoms and discomfort can be managed with other medicines. Contact your doctor right away if you develop a rash.
- Changes in body fat may occur while you are taking Rescriptor . Talk to your doctor about the possible role of exercise to reduce this side effect.
- LAB TESTS, including liver function tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Rescriptor with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Rescriptor with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 16 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the risks of using Rescriptor during pregnancy, including cancer and possible transmission of the HIV infection to the fetus. HIV-infected mothers should not breast-feed their infants because of the risk of transmitting the HIV infection or Rescriptor .
Possible side effects of Rescriptor :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bronchitis; depression; diarrhea; headache; nausea; redistribution of body fat; sleeplessness; stomach pain.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blisters; eye infection; fever; inflammation of the eye; mouth sores; muscle or joint pain; rash; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Rescriptor :
Store Rescriptor at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Rescriptor out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Rescriptor , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rescriptor is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Rescriptor . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rescriptor Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Rescriptor Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Rescriptor Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information