Robitussin Maximum Strength LiquidGeneric Name:
Guaifenesin (gwye-FEN-eh-sin)Brand Name:
Examples include Organidin NR and Robitussin Maximum Strength
Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of an unproductive cough and mucus in the chest due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid is an expectorant. It works by thinning mucus (phlegm) in the lungs and making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This reduces chest congestion by making coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a chronic cough that occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines. However, no specific interactions with Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid:
Use Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure this dose.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid.
Important safety information:
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Different brands of Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Follow the dosing instructions on the package labeling. If your doctor has given you instructions, follow those. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid while pregnant. It is not known if Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid:
Store Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Robitussin Maximum Strength Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Robitussin Maximum Strength Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Creo-Terpin Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information