Robitussin Pediatric LiquidGeneric Name:
Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin/Pseudoephedrine (dex-troe-meth-OR-fan/gwye-FEN-e-sin/sue-do-eh-FED-rin)Brand Name:
Examples include PanMist DM and Robitussin Pediatric
Robitussin Pediatric Liquid is used for:
Relieving congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Robitussin Pediatric Liquid is a decongestant, cough suppressant, and expectorant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels, reducing swelling in the nasal passages, and loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest, making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use Robitussin Pediatric Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Robitussin Pediatric Liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Robitussin Pediatric Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Robitussin Pediatric Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma, enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, adrenal gland problems, an overactive thyroid, seizures, or stroke
- if you have a chronic cough, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung problems (eg, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Robitussin Pediatric Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk Robitussin Pediatric Liquid's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Robitussin Pediatric Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Robitussin Pediatric Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Robitussin Pediatric Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Robitussin Pediatric Liquid:
Use Robitussin Pediatric Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Robitussin Pediatric Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Drink plenty of water while taking Robitussin Pediatric Liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Robitussin Pediatric Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Robitussin Pediatric Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Robitussin Pediatric Liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Robitussin Pediatric Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking Robitussin Pediatric Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Robitussin Pediatric Liquid has pseudoephedrine and dextromethorphan in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pseudoephedrine or dextromethorphan in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take Robitussin Pediatric Liquid for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Robitussin Pediatric Liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure that your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Robitussin Pediatric Liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Robitussin Pediatric Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Robitussin Pediatric Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Robitussin Pediatric Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Robitussin Pediatric Liquid, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Robitussin Pediatric Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Robitussin Pediatric Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Robitussin Pediatric Liquid.
Possible side effects of Robitussin Pediatric Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Robitussin Pediatric Liquid:
Store Robitussin Pediatric Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Robitussin Pediatric Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Robitussin Pediatric Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Robitussin Pediatric Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Robitussin Pediatric Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.