Rogaine SolutionGeneric Name: Minoxidil
Rogaine Solution is used for:
Promoting hair regrowth in patients who are experiencing gradually thinning hair or gradual hair loss on the top of the head.
Rogaine Solution is a vasodilator. It is not known how Rogaine Solution stimulates scalp hair growth. It is possible that it dilates blood vessels in the scalp, which may improve hair follicle function and stimulate scalp hair growth.
Do NOT use Rogaine Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Rogaine Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Rogaine Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Rogaine Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart or blood pressure problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Rogaine Solution. Because little, if any, of Rogaine Solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Rogaine Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Rogaine Solution:
Use Rogaine Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Before use, wash your scalp with a mild shampoo. Your hair and scalp must be dry before applying Rogaine Solution. Wash your hands after applying Rogaine Solution. Allow the solution to remain on the scalp for at least 4 hours before washing. Wait approximately 4 hours after application before going swimming, and do not allow your scalp to get wet from the rain after applying the solution.
- Wait until the solution is dry before using other hair care products.
- If you miss a dose of Rogaine Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Rogaine Solution.
Important safety information:
- Rogaine Solution is for topical use only. Avoid getting Rogaine Solution in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Rogaine Solution in your eyes, wash them out with cool tap water.
- Rogaine Solution may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Rogaine Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not use with other medicines or ointments on the scalp.
- Temporary hair loss may continue for up to 2 weeks after you start using Rogaine Solution. Contact your doctor if you continue to lose hair after 2 weeks.
- Several months may pass before you see improvement. If you do not see improvement after 4 months, check with your doctor.
- Do not use on scalp that is irritated or sunburned.
- Rogaine Solution will not improve hair loss caused by grooming methods (eg, ponytails, braiding) or the use of other hair care products that cause scarring or deep burns on the scalp.
- Rogaine Solution may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Rogaine Solution should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Rogaine Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Rogaine Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Rogaine Solution.
Possible side effects of Rogaine Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning or irritation of the eye; itching; redness or irritation at the treated area; unwanted hair growth elsewhere on the body.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dizziness; fainting; fast heartbeat; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swollen hands or feet.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Rogaine Solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Rogaine Solution:
Store Rogaine Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Keep Rogaine Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Rogaine Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rogaine Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Rogaine Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rogaine Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Rogaine Consumer Overview