Seb-Prev LotionGeneric Name: Sulfacetamide
Seb-Prev and Sebizon
Seb-Prev Lotion is used for:
Treating bacterial infections of the skin, including dandruff. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Seb-Prev Lotion is a sulfonamide. It works by restricting the production of folic acid, which bacteria need for growth. This kills the bacteria.
Do NOT use Seb-Prev Lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Seb-Prev Lotion
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any other sulfonamide medicine, such as acetazolamide, celecoxib, certain diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), glyburide, probenecid, sulfamethoxazole, valdecoxib, or zonisamide
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Seb-Prev Lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Seb-Prev Lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Seb-Prev Lotion. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Silver-containing products (eg, silver sulfadiazine) because they may decrease Seb-Prev Lotion's effectiveness
- Methenamine because it may increase the risk of Seb-Prev Lotion's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Seb-Prev Lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Seb-Prev Lotion:
Use Seb-Prev Lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Seb-Prev Lotion is for use on the skin only.
- Shake well before each use.
- Wash your hands before and after using Seb-Prev Lotion.
- Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area. Rub in gently.
- If your skin becomes too dry, apply less medicine to the affected area.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Seb-Prev Lotion for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Seb-Prev Lotion works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- Continue to use Seb-Prev Lotion even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Seb-Prev Lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Seb-Prev Lotion.
Important safety information:
- Avoid getting Seb-Prev Lotion in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not apply Seb-Prev Lotion over large areas of the body or to open wounds or scraped, infected, or burned skin without first checking with your doctor.
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Seb-Prev Lotion only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections.
- Be sure to use Seb-Prev Lotion for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Seb-Prev Lotion may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Large amounts of Seb-Prev Lotion may stain skin or white fabrics. This stain may be removed from fabric by ordinary laundering without bleach.
- Seb-Prev Lotion should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Seb-Prev Lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if Seb-Prev Lotion is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Seb-Prev Lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Seb-Prev Lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild irritation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody diarrhea; fever; joint pain; red, swollen, or blistered skin; severe diarrhea; severe or persistent irritation; sores in the mouth; stomach cramps/pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Seb-Prev Lotion may be harmful if swallowed. Symptoms of ingestion may include change in the amount of urine; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Seb-Prev Lotion:
Store Seb-Prev Lotion at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep Seb-Prev Lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Seb-Prev Lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Seb-Prev Lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Seb-Prev Lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Seb-Prev Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Klaron Prescribing Information (FDA)