Senna-Lax Generic Name:
Sennosides (SEN-oh-sides)Brand Name:
Examples include Senna-Lax and Senokot
Senna-Lax is used for:
Senna-Lax is a stimulant laxative. It works by irritating bowel tissues, resulting in bowel movements.
Do NOT use Senna-Lax if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Senna-Lax
- you have had recent abdominal surgery or require immediate abdominal surgery
- you have appendicitis; bleeding of the stomach, intestine, or rectum; or an obstruction in your intestines (fecal impaction)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Senna-Lax :
Some medical conditions may interact with Senna-Lax . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have congestive heart failure, you are experiencing nausea or vomiting, or you have undiagnosed stomach pain
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Senna-Lax . However, no specific interactions with Senna-Lax are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Senna-Lax may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Senna-Lax :
Use Senna-Lax as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Senna-Lax by mouth with or without food.
- Take Senna-Lax with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Drink extra fluids while you are taking Senna-Lax , unless instructed differently by your doctor.
- It is best to take Senna-Lax at bedtime.
- If you miss a dose of Senna-Lax , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Senna-Lax .
Important safety information:
- A bowel movement usually occurs in 6 to 12 hours.
- Do not use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- Using Senna-Lax for a long time may result in loss of normal bowel function.
- Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners with Senna-Lax unless directed by your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks or more, stop using Senna-Lax and check with your doctor.
- Senna-Lax may discolor the urine pink to red, or yellow to brown.
- Senna-Lax should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Senna-Lax while you are pregnant. It is not known if Senna-Lax is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Senna-Lax , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Overuse of laxatives can lead to a DEPENDENCE on laxatives to have a bowel movement. In severe overuse cases, some laxatives have caused damage to the intestines and bowel.
Possible side effects of Senna-Lax :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Abdominal discomfort or cramping; diarrhea; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); kidney inflammation; poor bowel function; rectal bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Senna-Lax :
Store Senna-Lax at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Senna-Lax out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Senna-Lax , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Senna-Lax is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Senna-Lax . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.