Sevelamer Powder PacketsGeneric Name:
Sevelamer (se-VEL-a-mer)Brand Name:
Sevelamer Powder Packets are used for:
Reducing the amount of phosphorus in the blood in patients with chronic kidney disease who are on dialysis.
Sevelamer Powder Packets are a phosphate binder. It works by binding with phosphate in the digestive tract, which decreases the amount of phosphate absorbed into the body.
Do NOT use Sevelamer Powder Packets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sevelamer Powder Packets
- you have low blood phosphate levels or a blockage of your bowels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sevelamer Powder Packets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Sevelamer Powder Packets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have difficulty swallowing, certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, severe constipation), or you have had major stomach or bowel surgery
- if you take medicines for irregular heartbeat, seizures, or thyroid problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sevelamer Powder Packets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Ciprofloxacin because its effectiveness may be decreased by Sevelamer Powder Packets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Sevelamer Powder Packets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sevelamer Powder Packets:
Use Sevelamer Powder Packets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Sevelamer Powder Packets with meals.
- Place the entire contents of each powder packet in a cup and mix thoroughly with the correct amount of water. Multiple packets may be mixed together with the appropriate amount of water. Check with your doctor if you have questions about how much water to add.
- The powder does not dissolve and, therefore, it should be stirred vigorously just before drinking. The entire preparation should be consumed within 30 minutes.
- Sevelamer Powder Packets may bind with other medicines, reducing the amount your body can absorb and use. If you are taking other medicines, your doctor may want you to take them 1 hour before or 3 hours after taking Sevelamer Powder Packets. Contact your doctor if you have questions about when to take your dose.
- Continue to take Sevelamer Powder Packets even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Sevelamer Powder Packets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sevelamer Powder Packets.
Important safety information:
- Sevelamer Powder Packets may reduce certain vitamins in your body. Check with your doctor about whether or not you should take a vitamin supplement while you take Sevelamer Powder Packets.
- Follow the diet program given to you by your health care provider.
- Lab tests, including calcium, bicarbonate, and chloride blood levels, may be performed while you use Sevelamer Powder Packets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Sevelamer Powder Packets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sevelamer Powder Packets while you are pregnant. It is not known if Sevelamer Powder Packets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Sevelamer Powder Packets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sevelamer Powder Packets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; gas; indigestion; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent constipation or stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Sevelamer Powder Packets:
Store Sevelamer Powder Packets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use after the expiration date. Keep Sevelamer Powder Packets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sevelamer Powder Packets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sevelamer Powder Packets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Sevelamer Powder Packets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.