Armodafinil Generic Name:
Armodafinil (ar-moe-DAF-i-nil)Brand Name:
Armodafinil is used for:
Improving wakefulness in patients with excessive sleepiness from sleep apnea, narcolepsy, or other sleep disorders. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Armodafinil is a wakefulness-promoting agent. Exactly how it works is not known. Armodafinil affects certain chemicals in the brain that may affect sleep.
Do NOT use Armodafinil if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Armodafinil
- you are allergic to modafinil
- you have a history of certain heart or valve problems (eg, mitral valve prolapse or left ventricular hypertrophy)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Armodafinil :
Some medical conditions may interact with Armodafinil . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you or a family member has a history of mental or mood problems (eg, depression, mania, psychosis), suicidal thoughts or actions, or alcohol or substance abuse
- if you have chest pain, high blood pressure, or if you have had a heart attack
- if you have liver, kidney, or heart problems
- if you are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Armodafinil . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Erythromycin or ketoconazole because they may increase the risk of Armodafinil 's side effects
- Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, or rifampin because they may decrease Armodafinil 's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam), clomipramine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), omeprazole, or propranolol because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Armodafinil
- Cyclosporine, hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), midazolam, or triazolam because their effectiveness may be decreased by Armodafinil .
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Armodafinil may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Armodafinil :
Use Armodafinil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Armodafinil . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Armodafinil by mouth with or without food.
- Take Armodafinil in the morning unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Armodafinil , take it as soon as possible. If you do not remember until late afternoon or evening, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Armodafinil .
Important safety information:
- Armodafinil may cause dizziness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Armodafinil with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Armodafinil ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Armodafinil cannot cure sleep disorders and it may not stop all of your sleepiness. Do not change your daily habits without first talking to your doctor. Discuss your level of sleepiness with your doctor at each visit. Do not use Armodafinil in place of getting enough sleep. Follow your doctor's instructions for good sleep habits and using other treatments.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Armodafinil . To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms) while you are taking Armodafinil and for 1 month after stopping Armodafinil .
- Lab tests, including blood pressure and liver function, may be performed while you use Armodafinil . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Armodafinil with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Armodafinil should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 17 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Armodafinil while you are pregnant. It is not known if Armodafinil is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Armodafinil , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Some people who use Armodafinil for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. If you stop taking Armodafinil suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include sleepiness. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects of Armodafinil :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth; headache; nausea; stomach pain or upset; tiredness; trouble sleeping.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty swallowing or breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); chest pain; dark urine; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever or sore throat; increased urination; mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, anxiety, depression, exaggerated sense of well-being, hallucinations, irritability, nervousness); mouth sores; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or actions; unusual bruising or bleeding; vomiting; weakness; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; blurred vision; chest pain; confusion; diarrhea; excitation; fast or slow heartbeat; hallucination; nausea; restlessness; sleeplessness.Proper storage of Armodafinil :
Store Armodafinil at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Armodafinil out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Armodafinil , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Armodafinil is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Armodafinil . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Armodafinil Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- armodafinil Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Nuvigil Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Nuvigil Consumer Overview