Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder PacketGeneric Name:
Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine (a-SEET-a-MIN-oh-fen/AS-pir-in/KAF-een)Brand Name:
Goody's Extra-Strength Headache Powders
Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet is used for:
Relieving headache, muscle aches, and other minor aches and pain. It is also used to reduce fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet is an analgesic and antipyretic combination. It works by blocking substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation. Caffeine constricts blood vessels, which helps with headaches.
Do NOT use Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet
- you are a child or teenager with influenza (flu) or chickenpox
- you have bleeding problems, such as hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, or low blood platelets
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, dizziness) to aspirin, tartrazine, or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, celecoxib, ibuprofen, naproxen)
- you are taking an anticoagulant (eg, warfarin) or ketorolac
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet:
Some medical conditions may interact with Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse or if you consume 3 or more alcohol-containing drinks every day
- if you have asthma, bleeding or clotting problems, growths in the nose (nasal polyps), kidney or liver problems, hepatitis, severe heart problems, stomach or peptic ulcers (bleeding ulcers), heartburn, upset stomach, stomach pain, influenza (flu) or chickenpox, vitamin K deficiency, anxiety, or trouble sleeping
- if you are a child with a stroke, a weakened blood vessel (cerebral aneurysm) or bleeding in the brain, or Kawasaki syndrome (a rare inflammation causing heart problems in children)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide) because they may decrease Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin ), clopidogrel, heparin, ketorolac, NSAIDs (eg, celecoxib, ibuprofen, naproxen), serotonin reuptake inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Insulin, isoniazid, oral hypoglycemics (eg, glyburide, repaglinide), or quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet
- Methotrexate, theophylline, or valproic acid because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet
- Probenecid, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet:
Use Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet by mouth with or without food.
- Place the contents of the packet on the tongue, and then swallow it with a full glass (8 oz/240 mL) of water or other liquid.
- You may also stir the contents of the packet into a glass of water or other liquid and then drink the mixed medicine. Throw away any mixed medicine that you do not drink. Do not store the mixed medicine for future use.
- Use Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet exactly as directed on the package, unless instructed differently by your doctor. If you are taking Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet without a prescription, follow any warnings and precautions on the label.
- If you miss a dose of Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor if you have a fever that lasts more than 3 days or if you have pain that does not get better within 10 days or gets worse.
- Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet has acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen, aspirin, or caffeine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet. Talk to your doctor before you take Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- Aspirin has been linked to a serious illness called Reye syndrome. Do not give Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet to a child or teenager who has the flu, chickenpox, or a viral infection. Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns.
- Avoid large amounts of food or drink that have caffeine (eg, coffee, tea, cocoa, cola, chocolate). This includes any medicines that contain caffeine.
- Serious stomach ulcers or bleeding can occur with the use of Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet. Taking it in high doses or for a long time, smoking, or drinking alcohol increases the risk of these side effects. Taking Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet with food will NOT reduce the risk of these effects. Contact your doctor or emergency room at once if you develop severe stomach or back pain; black, tarry stools; vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds; or unusual weight gain or swelling.
- Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Do not take Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet for at least 7 days after any surgery unless directed by your health care provider.
- Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet may cause false results with some in-home test kits for blood cholesterol. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet and need to check your blood cholesterol at home.
- Check with your child's doctor before giving Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet to a CHILD younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet while you are pregnant. Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet is not recommended during the last 3 months (third trimester) of pregnancy because it may cause harm to the fetus. Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Heartburn; nausea; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black or bloody stools; confusion; dark urine or pale stools; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; hearing loss; ringing in the ears; severe stomach pain; unusual tiredness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dark urine; excessive sweating; extreme fatigue; irregular heartbeat; low blood pressure; stomach pain; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet:
Store Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine Powder Packet. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.