Sodium Chloride Generic Name:
Sodium Chloride (SO-dee-um KLOR-ride)Brand Name:
Generic only. No brands available.
Sodium Chloride is used for:
Preventing or treating sodium loss due to excessive sweating or dehydration. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sodium Chloride is an electrolyte supplement. It works by supplying a source of sodium for the body.
Do NOT use Sodium Chloride if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sodium Chloride
- you have high blood sodium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sodium Chloride :
Some medical conditions may interact with Sodium Chloride . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are on a low-sodium diet
- if you have congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, decreased kidney function, liver problems (eg, cirrhosis), fluid buildup in the lungs or legs, or a certain pregnancy complication (preeclampsia)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sodium Chloride . However, no specific interactions with Sodium Chloride are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Sodium Chloride may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sodium Chloride :
Use Sodium Chloride as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Sodium Chloride by mouth with or without food.
- Take Sodium Chloride with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Sodium Chloride may be dissolved in water to make a solution for drinking. Ask your doctor for proper mixing instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Sodium Chloride , take it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sodium Chloride .
Important safety information:
- Misuse of Sodium Chloride may be harmful. Be sure you know how to properly use Sodium Chloride . Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- In a hot environment it is necessary to have adequate hydration and balanced electrolyte replacement.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including electrolyte levels, may be performed while you use Sodium Chloride . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Sodium Chloride should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sodium Chloride while you are pregnant. It is not known if Sodium Chloride is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Sodium Chloride , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sodium Chloride :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Sodium Chloride . Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); nausea; stomach pain; swelling in the hands, ankles, feet, or legs; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; fast or irregular heartbeat; irritability; nausea; restlessness; seizures; shortness of breath; slow or irregular breathing; stomach cramps; swelling in the hands, ankles, feet, or legs; vomiting; weakness.Proper storage of Sodium Chloride :
Store Sodium Chloride at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Sodium Chloride out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sodium Chloride , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sodium Chloride is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Sodium Chloride . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- sodium chloride Injection Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- sodium chloride inhalation Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Sodium Chloride Irrigation Baxter Prescribing Information (FDA)