Artemether/Lumefantrine Generic Name:
Artemether/Lumefantrine (ar-TEM-e-ther/LOO-me-FAN-treen)Brand Name:
Artemether/Lumefantrine is used for:
Treating malaria in adults and children who weigh at least 11 pounds (5 kg).
Artemether/Lumefantrine is an antimalarial agent. Exactly how it works is not known.
Do NOT use Artemether/Lumefantrine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Artemether/Lumefantrine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Artemether/Lumefantrine :
Some medical conditions may interact with Artemether/Lumefantrine . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat, QT interval prolongation, heart disease) or a family history of heart problems or sudden death
- you have an electrolyte imbalance (eg, low blood potassium or magnesium)
- if you have liver or kidney problems
- if you have an infection, a history of mental or mood problems (eg, depression), or you are taking medicines to treat HIV
- if you have recently taken other medicines used to treat malaria (eg, halofantrine)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Artemether/Lumefantrine . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amiodarone, astemizole, cisapride, disopyramide, flecainide, fluoroquinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole), macrolides (eg, clarithromycin), other antimalaria medicines (eg, halofantrine, quinine, quinidine), pimozide, procainamide, sotalol, terfenadine, triazole antifungals (eg, fluconazole), tricyclics (eg, amitriptyline, clomipramine, imipramine), and ziprasidone because the risk of side effects, such as QT prolongation, may be increased
- Mefloquine because it may decrease the effectiveness of Artemether/Lumefantrine
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Artemether/Lumefantrine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Artemether/Lumefantrine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Artemether/Lumefantrine :
Use Artemether/Lumefantrine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Artemether/Lumefantrine . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Artemether/Lumefantrine with food. Artemether/Lumefantrine may also be crushed and mixed with a small amount of water (1 or 2 teaspoons) prior to taking it. Follow with food or drink (eg, milk, formula, pudding, broth, or porridge).
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you use Artemether/Lumefantrine .
- If you vomit within 1 to 2 hours after taking Artemether/Lumefantrine , take another dose. If you vomit the repeat dose, contact your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Artemether/Lumefantrine , contact your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Artemether/Lumefantrine .
Important safety information:
- Artemether/Lumefantrine may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Artemether/Lumefantrine . Using Artemether/Lumefantrine alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Artemether/Lumefantrine works better if you take it with food, but malaria may cause you to lose your appetite. If you cannot eat while you take Artemether/Lumefantrine , your doctor will closely monitor you because the risk of your malaria getting worse may be greater if you cannot eat with Artemether/Lumefantrine .
- Tell your doctor if you notice flu-like symptoms (eg, fever, muscle pains, headache, chills) again after you have finished treatment with Artemether/Lumefantrine .
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Artemether/Lumefantrine . To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Artemether/Lumefantrine should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN who weigh less than 11 pounds (5 kg); safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Artemether/Lumefantrine can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Artemether/Lumefantrine , contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Artemether/Lumefantrine while you are pregnant. It is not known if Artemether/Lumefantrine is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Artemether/Lumefantrine , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Artemether/Lumefantrine :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Cough; diarrhea; dizziness; fatigue; headache; joint and muscle pain and stiffness; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach pain; tiredness; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty swallowing or breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; pale color; severe or persistent headache, muscle pain, or weakness; speech problems.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Artemether/Lumefantrine :
Store Artemether/Lumefantrine at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Artemether/Lumefantrine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Artemether/Lumefantrine , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Artemether/Lumefantrine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Artemether/Lumefantrine . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.