Sotradecol Generic Name: Sodium Tetradecyl Sulfate
(SO-dee-uhm tet-ra-deck-el)Brand Name:
Sotradecol is used for:
Treating varicose veins.
Sotradecol is sclerosing agent. It works by closing the varicose vein through scarring.
Do NOT use Sotradecol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sotradecol
- you have redness or tenderness in the vein
- you have pain, swelling, or redness near the vein
- you are bedridden
- you have varicose veins caused by a stomach or pelvic tumor that has not been removed
- you have uncontrolled diabetes, an overactive thyroid, tuberculosis (TB), asthma, an abnormal growth or tumor, an infection, blood disease, lung disease, or skin disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sotradecol :
Some medical conditions may interact with Sotradecol . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Buerger disease, hardening of the arteries or other heart problems, blood clots, or a nerve injury
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sotradecol . However, no specific interactions with Sotradecol are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Sotradecol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sotradecol :
Use Sotradecol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Sotradecol is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Sotradecol at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Sotradecol contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Sotradecol , contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sotradecol .
Important safety information:
- Follow-up visits to your doctor will be required. Be sure to keep all doctor appointments.
- Use Sotradecol with extreme caution in NEWBORNS. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Sotradecol during pregnancy. It is unknown if Sotradecol is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Sotradecol , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sotradecol :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Pain, itching, or lesions at the injection site; sloughing skin at the injection site.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning at the injection site; discoloration or redness around the vein; headache; itchy eyes or nose; nausea; pain or tenderness in the leg; runny nose; sneezing; swelling of the leg; vomiting; warm feeling in the leg; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Sotradecol :
Store Sotradecol at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Sotradecol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sotradecol , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sotradecol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Sotradecol . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sotradecol Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Sotradecol Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Sodium Tetradecyl Sulfate Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)