Asmanex Twisthaler PowderGeneric Name: Mometasone
Asmanex Twisthaler Powder is used for:
Preventing or reducing the frequency and seriousness of bronchial asthma attacks. It is also used in certain asthma patients when adding an inhaled corticosteroid may decrease the amount of other types of corticosteroids needed. Asmanex Twisthaler Powder does not help during an acute asthma attack.
Asmanex Twisthaler Powder is a corticosteroid. It works by reducing inflammation in the airways.
Do NOT use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Asmanex Twisthaler Powder
- you are having a severe asthma attack requiring quick relief
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Asmanex Twisthaler Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Asmanex Twisthaler Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have active or inactive tuberculosis or a positive skin test for tuberculosis
- if you have an infection of the respiratory tract, any untreated infection (fungal, bacterial, parasitic, viral), measles, chickenpox, herpes simplex in or around the eye, or eczema, or if you have recently received a vaccination
- if you have increased pressure in the eye, glaucoma, cataracts, diarrhea, osteoporosis (weak bones), or a family history of osteoporosis
- if you will be confined to a bed or chair for a prolonged period of time
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Asmanex Twisthaler Powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticonvulsants (eg, phenytoin) or corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) because the risk of serious side effects such as weakened bones may be increased
- Ketoconazole because it may increase the risk of Asmanex Twisthaler Powder's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Asmanex Twisthaler Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder:
Use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Asmanex Twisthaler Powder. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Hold the inhaler upright and remove the cap by twisting in a counter-clockwise direction. Exhale fully. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and firmly close your lips around the mouthpiece. Take a fast, deep breath. You may not be able to feel or taste the medicine after you inhale it. Remove the inhaler from your mouth, and hold your breath for about 10 seconds. Breathe out slowly. Do not breathe out through the inhaler.
- Gently wipe the mouthpiece dry. Replace the cap by gently pressing down and rotating the cap in a clockwise direction until a click is heard. If you do not replace the cap, your next dose will not be properly loaded.
- Rinse your mouth with water after each dose. Spit out the rinse water. This will help to decrease the risk of developing a fungal infection of the mouth from Asmanex Twisthaler Powder.
- Throw away the inhaler 45 days after opening the foil pouch or when the dose counter reads zero, whichever comes first.
- Use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Continue to use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Asmanex Twisthaler Powder, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder.
Important safety information:
- Asmanex Twisthaler Powder is for oral inhalation only. Do not get it in your eyes. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose. If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Asmanex Twisthaler Powder is used to prevent asthma attacks. It is not to be used for a severe asthma attack that requires quick relief.
- If you are also using a bronchodilator inhaler, be sure to always carry the bronchodilator inhaler with you to use during asthma attacks.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Asmanex Twisthaler Powder. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor. Do not increase the dosage.
- Contact your health care provider at once if you have an asthma attack and do not get relief from your bronchodilator inhaler.
- Asmanex Twisthaler Powder may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does. If exposed, contact your doctor at once.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Asmanex Twisthaler Powder before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Check with your doctor before having any vaccinations while you are using Asmanex Twisthaler Powder.
- Lab tests, including lung function, may be performed while you use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder.
- Asmanex Twisthaler Powder should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 4 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Asmanex Twisthaler Powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if Asmanex Twisthaler Powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Asmanex Twisthaler Powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Contact your health care provider if WITHDRAWAL symptoms (joint or muscle pain, lack of energy, depression) occur after you stop using Asmanex Twisthaler Powder. Do not suddenly stop using Asmanex Twisthaler Powder without first checking with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Asmanex Twisthaler Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Decreased appetite; flu-like symptoms; headache; indigestion; nausea; runny nose; sinus swelling; sore throat; stomach pain or upset; stuffy nose.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; depression; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; lack of energy; menstrual changes or painful menstruation; mental or mood changes; muscle or bone pain; new or worsening breathing problems; shakiness; shortness of breath; swelling; tiredness; vision changes; vomiting; weakness; wheezing; white curd-like patches or rash in the mouth.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Asmanex Twisthaler Powder:
Store Asmanex Twisthaler Powder at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Asmanex Twisthaler Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Asmanex Twisthaler Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Asmanex Twisthaler Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Asmanex Twisthaler Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.