Astepro SprayGeneric Name: Azelastine
Astepro Spray is used for:
Treating allergy symptoms such as sneezing and itchy, runny nose. It is also used to treat symptoms of nasal passage inflammation such as runny nose, stuffy nose, and postnasal drip. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Astepro Spray is an antihistamine nasal spray. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces allergy symptoms.
Do NOT use Astepro Spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Astepro Spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Astepro Spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Astepro Spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Astepro Spray. Because little, if any, of Astepro Spray is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Astepro Spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Astepro Spray:
Use Astepro Spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Astepro Spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Astepro Spray is for the nose only. Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. If you get Astepro Spray in your eyes, rinse with cool tap water at once.
- Prime the spray pump before the first use of a new bottle. Remove the blue dust cover over the tip of the bottle and the blue safety clip. To prime the pump, point the spray pump away from you and others. Spray rapidly and firmly several times until a fine mist appears (4 sprays or less).
- Gently blow your nose to clear your nostrils.
- Keep your head tilted downward. Place the spray tip Â¼ to Â½ inch into the nostril. Hold the bottle upright, allowing the spray tip to aim toward the back of the nose. Close the other nostril with one finger.
- Spray rapidly and firmly once and sniff gently at the same time. Repeat in the other nostril as directed.
- Breathe in gently. Do not tilt your head back after using Astepro Spray. This will help you to avoid the bitter taste that may be caused by Astepro Spray.
- After using Astepro Spray, wipe the spray tip with a clean tissue or cloth. Keep the dust cover and safety clip on the bottle when it is not in use.
- If 3 or more days have passed since the last use of this bottle, reprime the pump with 2 sprays or until a fine mist appears.
- If the nozzle becomes clogged, do NOT clean it by using a pointed object. Remove the spray pump from the bottle. Soak it in warm water, squirting it several times while under water. Dry the spray pump completely. Attach the spray pump to the bottle and reprime.
- If you miss a dose of Astepro Spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Astepro Spray.
Important safety information:
- Astepro Spray may cause drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Astepro Spray with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Astepro Spray; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- The medicine has an antihistamine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has an antihistamine (eg, diphenhydramine) in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Astepro Spray may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Astepro Spray should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 5 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Astepro Spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if Astepro Spray is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Astepro Spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Astepro Spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bitter taste; drowsiness; fatigue; headache; mild nasal bleeding, burning, discomfort, or stinging; sudden sneezing attack.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); repeated or persistent nosebleeds; severe nasal irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased limp muscles; saliva production; seizures; tremors.Proper storage of Astepro Spray:
Store Astepro Spray at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Store with the pump tightly closed. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not use Astepro Spray after the expiration date on the bottle. Keep Astepro Spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Astepro Spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Astepro Spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Astepro Spray. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Astepro Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Astepro Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Astepro Consumer Overview
- Astelin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Astelin Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Astelin Consumer Overview