Astramorph PF SolutionGeneric Name: Morphine
Examples include Astramorph PF and Duramorph
Astramorph PF Solution is used for:
Treating pain. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Astramorph PF Solution is a narcotic pain reliever. It works by dulling the pain perception center in the brain. It may also affect other body systems (eg, breathing and circulatory systems) at higher doses.
Do NOT use Astramorph PF Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Astramorph PF Solution
- you are taking cimetidine, a phenothiazine (eg, chlorpromazine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or a tricyclic antidepressant (eg, amitriptyline), or you drink alcohol
- you have known or suspected paralysis of the intestines or antibiotic-associated colitis
- you have diarrhea due to poisoning
- you have an upper airway (breathing) obstruction or low blood volume, or you are having an asthma attack
- you will be having general anesthesia
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Astramorph PF Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Astramorph PF Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung or breathing problems, or you have a history of drug abuse or dependence
- if you have increased pressure in the head, a recent head injury, or lesions in the head
- if you have heart, liver, or thyroid disease; curvature of the spine; seizures; or a history of suicidal thoughts or behaviors
- if you have a stomach blockage or inflammatory bowel disease, or you recently had stomach tract surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Astramorph PF Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluoxetine, naltrexone, rifampin, or risperidone because they may decrease the effectiveness of Astramorph PF Solution
- Barbiturate anesthetics (eg, thiopental), cimetidine, ethanol, ketorolac, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), sodium oxybate (GHB ), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects (eg, disorientation, respiratory depression, seizures) may occur
- Barbiturate anesthetics (eg, thiopental) or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Astramorph PF Solution
- Mexiletine or trovafloxacin because their effectiveness may be decreased by Astramorph PF Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Astramorph PF Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Astramorph PF Solution:
Use Astramorph PF Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Astramorph PF Solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Astramorph PF Solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Astramorph PF Solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Astramorph PF Solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- If you also take trovafloxacin, do not take it within 4 hours before or after taking Astramorph PF Solution. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Astramorph PF Solution and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Astramorph PF Solution.
Important safety information:
- Astramorph PF Solution may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Astramorph PF Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Astramorph PF Solution; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- The risk of Astramorph PF Solution becoming habit-forming may be greater if you take it in high doses or for a long time. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Astramorph PF Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Do not take Astramorph PF Solution if you have had a severe allergic reaction to morphine or hydromorphone (eg, MS Contin, Roxanol, Dilaudid). If you have a question about whether you are allergic to Astramorph PF Solution or if a certain medicine contains morphine or hydromorphone, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, lung function, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Astramorph PF Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Astramorph PF Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Astramorph PF Solution should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Astramorph PF Solution while you are pregnant. Astramorph PF Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Astramorph PF Solution.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Astramorph PF Solution may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Astramorph PF Solution stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use Astramorph PF Solution for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. If you stop taking Astramorph PF Solution suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea; vomiting; pain; rigid muscles; rapid heartbeat; seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; and trouble sleeping.
Possible side effects of Astramorph PF Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Agitation; anxiety; changes in vision; confusion; constipation; decreased sex drive; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; exaggerated sense of well-being; fear; frequent urination; headache; incoordination; lack of energy; lightheadedness; loss of appetite; mental clouding; mood swings; nausea; pinpoint pupils; restless mood; sleeplessness; sweating; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased sexual ability; delirium; difficulty urinating; disorientation; fainting; fast or slow heartbeat; flushing of the face; hallucinations; itching; menstrual changes; mental or mood changes; pounding in the chest; seizures; slowed breathing; tremor; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include cold and clammy skin; convulsions; deep sleep; dizziness; drowsiness; lightheadedness; loss of consciousness; slowed breathing; slowed heartbeat.Proper storage of Astramorph PF Solution:
Store Astramorph PF Solution between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep out of reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Astramorph PF Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Astramorph PF Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Astramorph PF Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Astramorph PF Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Avinza Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Avinza Consumer Overview
- Kadian Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Kadian Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Kadian Consumer Overview
- MS Contin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- MS Contin Consumer Overview
- Oramorph SR Prescribing Information (FDA)