Atabex EC Generic Name: Prenatal Multivitamins and Minerals with Docusate, Iron, and Folic Acid
(pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins)Brand Name:
Atabex EC is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may be also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Atabex EC is a vitamin, mineral, folic acid, and stool softener combination. It works by providing extra vitamins, minerals, and folic acid to the body. The stool softener helps to decrease constipation that may occur with iron products.
Do NOT use Atabex EC if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Atabex EC
- you have high levels of iron in your blood, hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism), or Wilson disease (a disorder of copper metabolism)
- you have nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain from an unknown cause; appendicitis; or a history of bowel blockage
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Atabex EC :
Some medical conditions may interact with Atabex EC . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a bowel disorder (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), certain blood disorders (eg, hemolytic, megaloblastic or pernicious anemia, porphyria cutanea tarda, thalassemia), kidney stones, or peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
- if you have stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Atabex EC . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin and fluorouracil because their actions and side effects may be increased by Atabex EC .
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Atabex EC .
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because their side effects, including risk of bleeding, may be increased by Atabex EC .
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Atabex EC may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Atabex EC :
Use Atabex EC as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Atabex EC by mouth with food.
- Take Atabex EC with a full glass of water.
- Swallow whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Avoid taking Atabex EC with dairy products as they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Atabex EC .
- If you also take bisphosphonates (eg, etidronate), quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), do not take them within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking Atabex EC . Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you also take antacids, cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), methyldopa, or levodopa, do not take them within 3 hours before or 3 hours after taking Atabex EC . Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you also take eltrombopag, do not take it within 4 hours before or 4 hours after taking Atabex EC . Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of Atabex EC , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Atabex EC .
Important safety information:
- While you are taking Atabex EC you may notice darkening of stools. This is normal.
- Atabex EC has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Atabex EC contains a stool softener. Do not take any other laxative or stool softener products without first checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Atabex EC while you are pregnant. Atabex EC is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Atabex EC , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Atabex EC :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; headache; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Atabex EC :
Store Atabex EC at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Atabex EC out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Atabex EC , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Atabex EC is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Atabex EC . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.