VESIcare Generic Name: Solifenacin
VESIcare is used for:
Treating overactive bladder with symptoms of an urgent need to urinate, a need to urinate often, or leakage of urine.
VESIcare is a muscarinic receptor antagonist. It works by blocking the action of certain chemicals in the body to help decrease urination problems caused by overactive bladder.
Do NOT use VESIcare if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in VESIcare
- you have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma
- you have severe liver problems
- you are unable to empty your bladder (urinary retention) or have slow or delayed emptying of your stomach (gastric retention)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using VESIcare :
Some medical conditions may interact with VESIcare . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems, constipation, difficulty urinating, or a weak urine stream
- if you have narrow-angle glaucoma, liver or kidney problems, or a history of heart problems (eg, QT prolongation)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with VESIcare . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Certain antifungal medicines (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), certain medicines for HIV infection (eg, ritonavir, saquinavir), macrolide antibiotics (eg, clarithromycin, erythromycin), or nefazodone because side effects, such as constipation or dry mouth, may occur
- Medicines that may affect your heart rate because side effects, including heart-related effects, may occur. If you are unsure if any of your medicines may affect your heart rate, ask your doctor or pharmacist
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if VESIcare may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use VESIcare :
Use VESIcare as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- VESIcare comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get VESIcare refilled.
- Take VESIcare by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow VESIcare whole with liquids. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of VESIcare , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use VESIcare .
Important safety information:
- VESIcare may cause dizziness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use VESIcare with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Contact your doctor at once if you experience severe stomach pain or if you are constipated for 3 or more days.
- Heat exhaustion or heat stroke due to decreased sweating can occur while you are taking VESIcare (eg, if you become overheated in a warm environment or during increased physical activity). Seek immediate medical attention if you experience sudden or severe tiredness, weakness, anxiety, dizziness, or fainting.
- Use VESIcare with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- VESIcare should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using VESIcare while you are pregnant. It is not known if VESIcare is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking VESIcare .
Possible side effects of VESIcare :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; constipation; cough; dizziness; dry eyes; dry mouth; indigestion or stomach upset; tiredness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); back pain; bloody or cloudy urine; constipation lasting 3 or more days; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever or chills; mood or mental changes (eg, confusion, depression, hallucinations); pain below the ribs; pain while urinating; severe stomach pain; unusual or severe headache; urinary retention (unable to empty the bladder).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; tremors; unusually dry skin.Proper storage of VESIcare :
Store VESIcare at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage in temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep VESIcare out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about VESIcare , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- VESIcare is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about VESIcare . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- VESIcare Prescribing Information (FDA)
- VESIcare Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Vesicare Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Vesicare Consumer Overview