Xigris Generic Name: Drotrecogin Alfa
(droe-tre-KOE-gin AL-fa)Brand Name:
Xigris is used for:
Treating life-threatening bacterial blood infections in certain adults.
Xigris is similar to a natural protein produced by the body (activated protein C). In patients with severe, life-threatening bacterial infections, Xigris decreases inflammation and the formation of blood clots in blood vessels. It also increases the breakdown of blood clots.
Do NOT use Xigris if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Xigris
- you are bleeding internally or have a brain tumor or lesion
- you have had a stroke within the last 3 months
- you have recently (within the last 2 months) had brain or spinal surgery or suffered a severe head injury
- you have been severely injured and are at risk of life-threatening bleeding
- you are using an epidural catheter
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Xigris :
Some medical conditions may interact with Xigris . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bleeding in the brain, blood clotting problems, low platelet levels, stomach bleeding (especially within the past 6 weeks), other bleeding problems, a high risk of bleeding, blood vessel problems in the brain, or a bulging blood vessel (aneurysm) (eg, in the brain or abdomen)
- if you have kidney or liver problems, HIV infection, an organ transplant, or ulcers
- if you have had a recent injury, surgery, or stroke
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Xigris . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors (eg, abciximab), heparin, platelet inhibitors (eg, clopidogrel), salicylates (eg, aspirin), or tissue plasminogen activators (eg, reteplase) because they may increase the risk of Xigris 's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Xigris may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Xigris :
Use Xigris as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Xigris is administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Do not use Xigris if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- Do not use Xigris past the expiration date stamped on the vial.
- If you miss a dose of Xigris , or if a dose is interrupted, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Xigris .
Important safety information:
- Xigris may cause serious bleeding. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. Do not get out of bed on your own unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Xigris before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Xigris may interfere with certain lab tests, including the activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) and coagulation tests based on the aPTT. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Xigris .
- Lab tests, including liver function and complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Xigris . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Xigris should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Xigris can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Xigris while you are pregnant. It is not known if Xigris is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Xigris .
Possible side effects of Xigris :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with the proper use of Xigris . Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black stools; bloody diarrhea; confusion; one-sided weakness; pink-colored/red urine; slurred speech; stomach pain; unusual bruising or bleeding; vision problems; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include severe bleeding.Proper storage of Xigris :
Xigris is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Xigris at home, store Xigris as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Xigris out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Xigris , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Xigris is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Xigris . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Xigris Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Xigris Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Xigris Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information