Avidoxy DK Generic Name: Doxycycline Tablets/Salicylic Acid Wash/Sunscreen
(DOX-i-SYE-kleen/SAL-i-SIL-ik AS-id)Brand Name:
Avidoxy DK is used for:
Treating acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Avidoxy DK is a kit containing a tetracycline antibiotic, a topical salicylate, and a sunscreen. The tablets work by slowing the growth of bacteria, which allows the body's immune system to destroy the bacteria. The wash works to clean the skin of dirt and oil and helps to remove dead skin cells. The sunscreen helps to prevent sunburn.
Do NOT use Avidoxy DK if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Avidoxy DK or to another tetracycline (eg, minocycline)
- you are taking acitretin, isotretinoin, or a penicillin (eg, amoxicillin)
- you have recently received or will be receiving a live oral typhoid vaccine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Avidoxy DK :
Some medical conditions may interact with Avidoxy DK . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea, a history of lupus, or the blood disease porphyria
- if you have a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, celecoxib, ibuprofen, naproxen)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, skin irritation, diabetes, or poor blood circulation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Avidoxy DK . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), iron, or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because they may decrease Avidoxy DK 's effectiveness
- Acitretin, anticoagulants (eg, heparin, warfarin), aspirin, digoxin, isotretinoin, methotrexate, or methoxyflurane because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Avidoxy DK
- Live oral typhoid vaccine, hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills), or a penicillin (eg, amoxicillin) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Avidoxy DK
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Avidoxy DK may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Avidoxy DK :
Use Avidoxy DK as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Avidoxy DK by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- To clear up your acne completely, take Avidoxy DK for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Drink plenty of fluids with Avidoxy DK to wash it down and avoid the risk of throat irritation.
- Wash your face or the affected area with the wash and thoroughly dry.
- Apply a thin layer of the sunscreen to your face or the affected area. Gently rub the sunscreen in until it is evenly distributed. Be sure to wash your hands after each use.
- Do not take an antacid that has aluminum, calcium, or magnesium in it; bismuth-containing products; iron; urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate); or multivitamins with minerals within 2 hours before or 2 hours after you take Avidoxy DK .
- Do not use Avidoxy DK if it is out of date or has been stored incorrectly.
- If you miss a dose of Avidoxy DK , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Avidoxy DK .
Important safety information:
- Be sure to use Avidoxy DK for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your acne completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines.
- Long-term or repeated use of Avidoxy DK may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Avidoxy DK . To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Avidoxy DK may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Avidoxy DK . Use the sunscreen included in this kit or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or blood stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- The wash is for external use only. Avoid getting the wash in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on your genitals. If contact with your eyes occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes. Do not inhale the vapors of the wash.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose of the tablets or use the wash for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Overuse of the topical wash may worsen your condition.
- Be sure to use the wash only on the affected area and not on normal healthy skin. Do not use the wash on open skin wounds, moles, birthmarks, genital warts, warts on the face, or warts growing hair.
- Do not use any other medicines or drying products on your skin unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
- The wash may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken the wash by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- The wash contains a salicylate, which has been linked to Reye syndrome. Do not use the wash on children or teenagers during or after chickenpox, flu, or other viral infections without checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Avidoxy DK may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Avidoxy DK .
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Avidoxy DK . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Avidoxy DK should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 8 years old; permanent yellow-gray-brown tooth discoloration may occur.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Avidoxy DK has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Avidoxy DK while you are pregnant. Avidoxy DK is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Avidoxy DK .
Possible side effects of Avidoxy DK :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry, peeling, red, or scaling skin; loss of appetite; mild diarrhea; nausea; sensitivity to sunlight; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bloody stools; dark urine; decreased urination; fever, chills, or sore throat; moderate to severe sunburn; severe diarrhea; severe or persistent headache; severe skin irritation; stomach pain or cramps; throat irritation; trouble swallowing; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual joint pain; vaginal irritation or discharge; vision changes; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediatelyProper storage of Avidoxy DK :
Store Avidoxy DK at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Avidoxy DK out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Avidoxy DK , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Avidoxy DK is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Avidoxy DK . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.