Zyrtec Chewable TabletsGeneric Name: Cetirizine
Zyrtec Chewable Tablets are used for:
Preventing or treating symptoms of hay fever and other upper respiratory allergies such as stuffy nose, runny nose, sneezing, itching of the nose and throat, and itchy, watery eyes. It is also used for preventing or treating chronic hives. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Zyrtec Chewable Tablets are an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Do NOT use Zyrtec Chewable Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zyrtec Chewable Tablets or to hydroxyzine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zyrtec Chewable Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zyrtec Chewable Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems, or you are receiving dialysis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zyrtec Chewable Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
Theophylline because it may increase the risk of Zyrtec Chewable Tablets's side effects
How to use Zyrtec Chewable Tablets:
Use Zyrtec Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Zyrtec Chewable Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Zyrtec Chewable Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zyrtec Chewable Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Zyrtec Chewable Tablets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Zyrtec Chewable Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Zyrtec Chewable Tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Zyrtec Chewable Tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Zyrtec Chewable Tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Zyrtec Chewable Tablets may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Zyrtec Chewable Tablets for a few days before the tests.
- Use Zyrtec Chewable Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Zyrtec Chewable Tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially stomach pain and trouble sleeping.
- Zyrtec Chewable Tablets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Zyrtec Chewable Tablets can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zyrtec Chewable Tablets while you are pregnant. Zyrtec Chewable Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Zyrtec Chewable Tablets.
Possible side effects of Zyrtec Chewable Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Drowsiness; dry mouth; stomach pain (in children); tiredness; trouble sleeping (in children).Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); dark urine; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; mental or mood changes; persistent fatigue; seizures; severe dizziness; unusual bruising or bleeding; yellowing of eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include irritability; restlessness; severe drowsiness.Proper storage of Zyrtec Chewable Tablets:
Store Zyrtec Chewable Tablets between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zyrtec Chewable Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zyrtec Chewable Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zyrtec Chewable Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zyrtec Chewable Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zyrtec Consumer Overview
- Zyrtec Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Zyrtec Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cetirizine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Cetirizine Prescribing Information (FDA)