Azelastine SprayGeneric Name:
Azelastine (a-ZEL-as-teen)Brand Name:
Azelastine Spray is used for:
Relieving symptoms of seasonal and year-round allergies in certain patients. It may help reduce nasal symptoms of rhinitis (eg, itching, sneezing, stuffy or runny nose). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Azelastine Spray is an antihistamine nasal spray. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces allergy symptoms.
Do NOT use Azelastine Spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Azelastine Spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Azelastine Spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Azelastine Spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Azelastine Spray. Because little, if any, of Azelastine Spray is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Azelastine Spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Azelastine Spray:
Use Azelastine Spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Azelastine Spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Azelastine Spray is for the nose only. Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. If you get Azelastine Spray in your eyes, rinse with cool tap water at once.
- Prime the spray pump before the first use of a new bottle. Remove the blue dust cover over the tip of the bottle and the blue safety clip. To prime the pump, point the spray pump away from you and others. Spray rapidly and firmly several times until a fine mist appears (6 sprays or less).
- Gently blow your nose to clear your nostrils.
- Keep your head tilted downward. Place the spray tip Â¼ to Â½ inch into the nostril. Hold bottle upright, allowing spray tip to aim toward the back of the nose. Close the other nostril with one finger.
- Spray rapidly and firmly once and sniff gently at the same time. Repeat in the other nostril as directed.
- Breathe in gently. Do not tilt your head back after using Azelastine Spray. This will help you to avoid the bitter taste that may be caused by Azelastine Spray.
- After using Azelastine Spray, wipe the spray tip with a clean tissue or cloth. Keep the dust cover and safety clip on the bottle when it is not in use.
- If 3 or more days have passed since the last use of this bottle, reprime the pump with 2 sprays or until a fine mist appears.
- If the nozzle becomes clogged, do NOT clean it by using a pointed object. Remove the spray pump from the bottle. Soak it in warm water, squirting it several times while under water. Dry the spray pump completely. Attach the spray pump to the bottle and reprime.
- If you miss a dose of Azelastine Spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Azelastine Spray.
Important safety information:
- Azelastine Spray may cause drowsiness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Azelastine Spray with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Azelastine Spray; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- The medicine has an antihistamine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has an antihistamine (eg, diphenhydramine) in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Azelastine Spray may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Azelastine Spray should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Azelastine Spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if Azelastine Spray is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Azelastine Spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Azelastine Spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bitter taste; drowsiness; fatigue; headache; mild nasal bleeding, burning, discomfort, or stinging; sudden sneezing attack.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); repeated or persistent nosebleeds; severe nasal irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Azelastine Spray:
Store Azelastine Spray at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Store with the pump tightly closed. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not use Azelastine Spray after the expiration date on the bottle. Keep Azelastine Spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Azelastine Spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Azelastine Spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Azelastine Spray. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.