BCG Live Generic Name:
BCG Live (BCG)Brand Name:
Examples include TheraCys and Tice BCG
BCG Live contains live bacteria. It must be prepared, handled, and disposed of as biohazard material. Serious infections have been reported by health care providers after accidental needle sticks during preparation and handling of BCG Live . Patients with weakened immune systems have become infected when their injection medicines are prepared in the same area as BCG Live . Serious, sometimes fatal, infections have also occurred in patients receiving BCG Live through a catheter.
BCG Live is used for:
Treating cancer of the bladder.
BCG Live is a strain of bacteria. How it works is not fully known. It is thought to stimulate the immune system.
Do NOT use BCG Live if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in BCG Live
- you have a history of sepsis, urinary tract infections or a large amount of blood in the urine, or HIV- or AIDS-related conditions
- you are receiving cancer therapy (eg, cytotoxic medicines, radiation therapy) or are taking medicines that suppress the immune system (eg, corticosteroids [eg, hydrocortisone])
- you have active tuberculosis (TB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using BCG Live :
Some medical conditions may interact with BCG Live . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you recently had urinary tract surgery or a you have a weakened immune system
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with BCG Live . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cancer therapy (eg, cytotoxic medicines, radiation therapy) or corticosteroids (eg, hydrocortisone) because the risk of serious, life-threatening infections is increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if BCG Live may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use BCG Live :
Use BCG Live as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- BCG Live is usually administered by catheter through the urinary tract at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using BCG Live at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use BCG Live . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Fluid intake should be increased in order to "flush" the bladder in the hours following treatment with BCG Live . Ask your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- After you receive BCG Live , lay on your back, front, and each side for 15 minutes each while retaining the solution in your bladder. You may then stand up, but try to retain the solution for another 60 minutes before emptying your bladder. After retaining the solution for 2 hours, all patients should sit down to urinate.
- Dilute all urine for up to 6 hours after receiving BCG Live with an equal amount of household bleach. Wait 15 minutes before flushing.
- If you miss a dose of BCG Live , contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use BCG Live .
Important safety information:
- BCG Live may lower your resistance to infection. Prevent infection by avoiding contact with people who have an infection. Do not touch your eyes or the inside of your nose unless you have thoroughly washed your hands first.
- The use of birth control is recommended while you or your sexual partner is using BCG Live . Do not become pregnant while using BCG Live .
- BCG Live should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using BCG Live while you are pregnant. It is not known if BCG Live is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking BCG Live .
Possible side effects of BCG Live :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; increased pain or frequency of urination; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach pain.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in urine; burning or pain when urinating; chills; cough; fever; flu-like symptoms; frequent or urgent urination; general feeling of discomfort; joint pain; tiredness; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of BCG Live :
BCG Live is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using BCG Live at home, store BCG Live as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep BCG Live out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about BCG Live , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- BCG Live is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about BCG Live . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.