Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder PacketsGeneric Name:
Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin (a-SEET-a-MIN-oh-fen/gwye-FEN-e-sin)Brand Name:
Theraflu Flu and Chest Congestion
Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets are used for:
Relieving minor aches and pains, headache, and minor sore throat due to colds, and for temporarily reducing fever. It also helps to loosen chest congestion.
Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets are an analgesic and expectorant combination. The analgesic work in the brain to decrease pain and fever. The expectorant thins mucus in the lungs.
Do NOT use Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse or you drink more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks per day
- if you have liver or kidney problems, hepatitis, or phenylketonuria (PKU), or if you are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects, including bleeding, may be increased by Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets
- Isoniazid because the risk of liver problems may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets:
Use Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets by mouth with or without food.
- Dissolve contents of 1 packet in 8 oz of hot water. Sip while hot. Drink the entire mixture within 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you are using a microwave, stir before and after heating. Do not overheat.
- If you miss a dose of Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets.
Important safety information:
- Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets has acetaminophen and guaifenesin in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen or guaifenesin in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets. Talk to your doctor before you take Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- Severe or persistent sore throat or sore throat accompanied by high fever, headache, nausea, and vomiting may be serious. Consult a doctor promptly. Do not use for sore throat for longer than 2 days unless directed by a doctor.
- Check with your doctor if pain or cough lasts for more than 7 days, gets worse, or occurs with rash or persistent headache.
- Do not use Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Check with your doctor if fever lasts for more than 3 days or if it gets worse.
- Check with your doctor if redness or swelling is present, or if new symptoms occur.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets may cause the results of some in-home test kits for blood cholesterol to be wrong. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets and need to check your blood cholesterol at home.
- Do not use Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets while you are pregnant. Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine or pale stools; unusual fatigue; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dark urine; excessive sweating; extreme fatigue; nausea and vomiting; stomach pain.Proper storage of Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets:
Store Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Acetaminophen/Guaifenesin Powder Packets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.