Bendroflumethiazide Generic Name:
Bendroflumethiazide (ben-droe-floo-meth-EYE-a-zide)Brand Name:
Bendroflumethiazide is used for:
Treating excess fluid buildup in the body caused by certain conditions or medicines. It may also be used to treat high blood pressure or for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Bendroflumethiazide is a thiazide diuretic. It works by helping the kidneys eliminate fluid from the body. Exactly how Bendroflumethiazide works to treat high blood pressure is unknown.
Do NOT use Bendroflumethiazide if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bendroflumethiazide or to any other sulfonamide medicine (eg sulfamethoxazole, glyburide, acetazolamide)
- you are unable to urinate
- you are taking dofetilide or ketanserin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bendroflumethiazide :
Some medical conditions may interact with Bendroflumethiazide . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have gout, kidney or liver problems, lupus, diabetes, asthma, parathyroid problems, high blood cholesterol or lipid levels, or low blood pressure
- if you have low blood sodium, chloride, potassium, or magnesium levels; or high blood calcium levels
- if you have recently had nerve surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bendroflumethiazide . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen) because the effectiveness of Bendroflumethiazide may be decreased
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), corticotropin (ACTH), narcotic pain medicines (eg, codeine, morphine, fentanyl), or medicines for high blood pressure because side effects of Bendroflumethiazide may be increased
- Diazoxide or nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, tubocurarine) because side effects may be increased by Bendroflumethiazide
- Lithium because the risk of toxicity may be increased by Bendroflumethiazide
- Digoxin, dofetilide, or ketanserin because the risk of irregular heartbeat may be increased by Bendroflumethiazide
- Diabetes medicines (eg, glipizide, metformin) or insulin because their effectiveness may be decreased by Bendroflumethiazide
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Bendroflumethiazide may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bendroflumethiazide :
Use Bendroflumethiazide as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Bendroflumethiazide may be taken with or without food.
- When you first start taking Bendroflumethiazide , it may cause an increase in urine or in frequency of urination. To prevent this from affecting sleep, try not to take any dose later than 6 pm.
- Continue to use Bendroflumethiazide even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Bendroflumethiazide , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bendroflumethiazide .
Important safety information:
- Bendroflumethiazide may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Bendroflumethiazide . Using Bendroflumethiazide alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Bendroflumethiazide may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. Alcohol, hot weather, exercise, and fever can increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Also, sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness, lightheadedness, or weakness.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Bendroflumethiazide .
- Bendroflumethiazide may cause high blood sugar (eg, thirst, increased urination, confusion, drowsiness, flushing, rapid breathing, or fruity breath odor). If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor immediately.
- Your doctor may have also prescribed a potassium supplement for you. If so, follow the dosing carefully. Do not start taking additional potassium on your own or change your diet to include more potassium without first checking with your doctor.
- Bendroflumethiazide may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Bendroflumethiazide . Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Patients being treated for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after beginning therapy. Continue taking your medication even though you may not feel quite "normal." Contact your doctor or pharmacist about any new symptoms.
- Bendroflumethiazide may interfere with certain lab tests. Make sure your doctors and lab personnel know you are using Bendroflumethiazide .
- LAB TESTS, including kidney function, blood pressure, and blood electrolyte levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Bendroflumethiazide with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Bendroflumethiazide during pregnancy. Bendroflumethiazide is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Bendroflumethiazide .
Possible side effects of Bendroflumethiazide :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; dizziness; headache; lightheadedness, especially when sitting up or standing; numbness or tingling of skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloating; confusion; decrease in amount of urine; drowsiness; gout; inability to keep an erection; muscle pain or cramps; nausea; rapid or irregular heartbeat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; restlessness; seizures; severe stomach pain; shortness of breath; sweating; unusual thirst; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually dry mouth; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org/DNN/), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dry mouth; excessive urination followed by a decrease in amount of urine; muscle cramps; severe lightheadedness, especially upon standing; weak or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Bendroflumethiazide :
Store Bendroflumethiazide at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bendroflumethiazide out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bendroflumethiazide , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bendroflumethiazide is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Bendroflumethiazide . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.