BenzEFoam FoamGeneric Name: Benzoyl Peroxide
(BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide)Brand Name:
BenzEFoam Foam is used for:
BenzEFoam Foam is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. It works by causing mild drying and peeling of the skin, and by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use BenzEFoam Foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in BenzEFoam Foam
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using BenzEFoam Foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with BenzEFoam Foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with BenzEFoam Foam. However, no specific interactions with BenzEFoam Foam are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if BenzEFoam Foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use BenzEFoam Foam:
Use BenzEFoam Foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with BenzEFoam Foam. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Prime the container before the first use. To prime the container, shake well. Gently tap the bottom of the can 3 times on the palm of your hand or another solid surface. Remove the cap. Hold the can upright over the sink. Press down on the actuator for 1 to 3 seconds, until the tab breaks and foam appears. If foam does not appear within 3 seconds, repeat the entire process.
- Gently wash the affected area with mild soap and water, rinse with warm water, and pat dry before each use.
- Shake well and tap the bottom of the container 3 times on the palm of your hand or another solid surface before each use.
- To use BenzEFoam Foam, hold the can upright. If you are treating face acne, spray an amount the size of a marble into your hand. If you are treating back or chest acne, spray an amount the size of a walnut into your hand.
- Apply the foam to the affected area as directed by your doctor. Rub in completely.
- Wipe any excess foam off of the can after each use.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after each use.
- If you miss a dose of BenzEFoam Foam, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use BenzEFoam Foam.
Important safety information:
- BenzEFoam Foam is for external use only. Do not get BenzEFoam Foam in your eyes, on the inside of your nose or mouth, or on your lips. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not apply BenzEFoam Foam to skin that is inflamed, damaged, irritated, or sunburned. Do not apply it to an open wound.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use BenzEFoam Foam for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not get better or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- Do not use BenzEFoam Foam for other conditions at a later time.
- BenzEFoam Foam may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to BenzEFoam Foam. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- BenzEFoam Foam may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- BenzEFoam Foam should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using BenzEFoam Foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if BenzEFoam Foam is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use BenzEFoam Foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of BenzEFoam Foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry skin; mild irritation, itching, peeling, redness, or stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent burning, irritation, itching, peeling, redness, or tenderness of the skin; swelling of the skin; very dry skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include flushing or excessive scaling, redness, or swelling.Proper storage of BenzEFoam Foam:
Store BenzEFoam Foam at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister, even if it appears to be empty. Keep BenzEFoam Foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about BenzEFoam Foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- BenzEFoam Foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about BenzEFoam Foam. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acne Treatment Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Benzac Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Benzac W Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Oxy Balance Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information