Benzoyl Peroxide BarGeneric Name:
Benzoyl Peroxide (BEN-zoyl per-OX-ide)Brand Name:
Examples include Fostex BPO and PanOxyl
Benzoyl Peroxide Bar is used for:
Benzoyl Peroxide Bar is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. The effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide appears to be due to its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use Benzoyl Peroxide Bar if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benzoyl Peroxide Bar
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benzoyl Peroxide Bar:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benzoyl Peroxide Bar. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benzoyl Peroxide Bar. Because little, if any, of Benzoyl Peroxide Bar is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Benzoyl Peroxide Bar may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benzoyl Peroxide Bar:
Use Benzoyl Peroxide Bar as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash the affected area with Benzoyl Peroxide Bar for 1 to 2 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water and pat skin dry with a clean towel. Wash your hands after using Benzoyl Peroxide Bar.
- If you miss a dose of Benzoyl Peroxide Bar, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to you regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benzoyl Peroxide Bar.
Important safety information:
- Use on the skin only. Avoid getting Benzoyl Peroxide Bar in your eyes, nose, or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get Benzoyl Peroxide Bar in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Do not apply Benzoyl Peroxide Bar to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use Benzoyl Peroxide Bar for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Bar may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benzoyl Peroxide Bar. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Bar may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Bar should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benzoyl Peroxide Bar while you are pregnant. It is not known if Benzoyl Peroxide Bar is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Benzoyl Peroxide Bar, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Benzoyl Peroxide Bar:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; mild peeling, redness, or swelling of the skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, redness, swelling, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling, flushing, redness, or swelling.Proper storage of Benzoyl Peroxide Bar:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Keep Benzoyl Peroxide Bar out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benzoyl Peroxide Bar, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Bar is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Benzoyl Peroxide Bar. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acne Treatment Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Benzac Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Benzac W Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Oxy Balance Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information