Benzoyl Peroxide CreamGeneric Name:
Benzoyl Peroxide (BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide)Brand Name:
NeoBenz Micro Wash Plus Pack
Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is used for:
Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. It appears to be effective because of its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benzoyl Peroxide Cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benzoyl Peroxide Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benzoyl Peroxide Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benzoyl Peroxide Cream. However, no specific interactions with Benzoyl Peroxide Cream are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Benzoyl Peroxide Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream:
Use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is only to be used on the skin. The kit contains a medicated wash and cream prefilled sponge applicators.
- To use the wash - Shake well before using. Wet the affected area and then apply Benzoyl Peroxide Cream by gently massaging into the skin for 10 to 20 seconds, working into a lather. Rinse the treated area thoroughly and gently pat dry.
- To use the cream prefilled sponge applicators - Wash the affected area with a mild cleanser. Rinse thoroughly and completely dry the affected area. Firmly squeeze the prefilled sponge applicator until the seal between the applicator and sponge has broken. Apply Benzoyl Peroxide Cream by rubbing the sponge in small circular motions over the affected area. Dispose of each applicator after a single use.
- If you notice Benzoyl Peroxide Cream or a white residue remaining on your skin after application, you may be applying too much.
- Wash your hands immediately before and after using Benzoyl Peroxide Cream.
- Continue to use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream for the full course of treatment even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Benzoyl Peroxide Cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream.
Important safety information:
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is for external use only. Avoid getting Benzoyl Peroxide Cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on your eyelids or lips. If Benzoyl Peroxide Cream does get in your eyes, wash your eyes immediately with plenty of water. If eye irritation continues, contact your doctor.
- Avoid applying Benzoyl Peroxide Cream to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benzoyl Peroxide Cream. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream may cause bleaching or discoloration. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Benzoyl Peroxide Cream can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benzoyl Peroxide Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Benzoyl Peroxide Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Benzoyl Peroxide Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; feeling of warmth; mild irritation, itching, peeling, redness, stinging, or swelling of the skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, redness, swelling, or tenderness of the skin; extreme dryness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling; flushing; redness; swelling.Proper storage of Benzoyl Peroxide Cream:
Store at room temperature between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container, away from fire, flame, heat, and light. Keep Benzoyl Peroxide Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benzoyl Peroxide Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzoyl Peroxide Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor. This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Benzoyl Peroxide Cream.
If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acne Treatment Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Benzac Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Benzac W Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Oxy Balance Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information