Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone LotionGeneric Name:
Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone (BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide/hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone)Brand Name:
Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion is used for:
Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion is a combination keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions and corticosteroid. The effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide appears to be due to its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions. The corticosteroid reduces inflammation in a way that is not fully understood.
Do NOT use Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion
- you have a viral skin disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have had a recent vaccination; have measles, tuberculosis, chickenpox, or shingles; or have had a positive tuberculosis test
- if you are taking prednisone or similar medicines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion. However, no specific interactions with Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion:
Use Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Apply a thin film of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- Wash your hands after using Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion.
- If you miss a dose of Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion.
Important safety information:
- Use on the skin only. Avoid getting Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion in your eyes, on the inside of your nose or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Avoid applying Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; mild irritation or stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, itching; excessive hair growth; extreme dryness; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; irritation, redness, peeling, or tenderness not present before you began using Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion; swelling; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling; flushing; redness; swelling.Proper storage of Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion:
Store Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Throw away any unused medicine after 3 months. Keep Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone Lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.