Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur LotionGeneric Name:
Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur (BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide/SULL-fer)Brand Name:
Sulfoxyl Regular and Sulfoxyl Strong
Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion is used for:
Treating acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. Exactly how Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion works to treat acne is unknown, but it may be effective because of its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion. However, no specific interactions with Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion:
Use Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion is for external use only.
- Wash your hands before and after using Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion, unless your hands are a part of the affected area.
- Shake well before each use.
- Wash the affected area gently with a non-medicated soap and dry. Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area and gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- If you miss a dose of Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion.
Important safety information:
- Use on the skin only. Avoid getting Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion in your eyes, on the inside of your nose or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Avoid applying Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin without checking with your doctor.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; peeling; redness; stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, irritation, peeling, redness, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling; flushing; redness; swelling.Proper storage of Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion:
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from fire, flame, heat, and light. Keep Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Benzoyl Peroxide/Sulfur Lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.