Betadine ShampooGeneric Name: Povidone/Iodine
Betadine Shampoo is used for:
Cleansing the hair and scalp to reduce the risk of infection.
Betadine Shampoo is an antiseptic combination. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Betadine Shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Betadine Shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Betadine Shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Betadine Shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have serious burns or deep puncture wounds
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Betadine Shampoo. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Betadine Shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Betadine Shampoo:
Use Betadine Shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use Betadine Shampoo on the scalp, massage 1 or 2 teaspoonfuls into the wet scalp. Leave on the scalp for up to 10 minutes. Rinse the scalp thoroughly. Wash your hands well after using Betadine Shampoo.
- If you miss a dose of Betadine Shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Betadine Shampoo.
Important safety information:
- If you have had a severe allergic reaction to Betadine Shampoo or a medicine that contains iodine, contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately. A severe allergic reaction includes a severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, or dizziness. If you have questions about whether you are allergic to Betadine Shampoo or if a certain medicine contains iodine, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you experience a skin rash, hives, or itching, or any other unusual reaction after using this product, discontinue use and contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- Betadine Shampoo is for external use only. Do not get Betadine Shampoo in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not use Betadine Shampoo over large areas of the body or for more than 1 week unless advised to do so by your doctor.
- Contact your doctor before using Betadine Shampoo on serious burns, deep wounds, or puncture wounds.
- Use Betadine Shampoo with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Betadine Shampoo, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Betadine Shampoo during pregnancy. It is unknown if Betadine Shampoo is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Betadine Shampoo, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Betadine Shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Skin irritation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); worsening of your condition.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Betadine Shampoo:
Store Betadine Shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Betadine Shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Betadine Shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Betadine Shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Betadine Shampoo. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Iodex Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information