Biltricide Generic Name: Praziquantel
Biltricide is used for:
Treating certain worm infections (eg, schistosoma, liver flukes).
Biltricide is an anthelmintic agent. It works by killing sensitive worms.
Do NOT use Biltricide if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Biltricide
- you have certain worm infections of the eye (ocular cysticercosis)
- you are breast-feeding
- you are taking rifampin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Biltricide :
Some medical conditions may interact with Biltricide . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver, kidney, or heart problems or worm infection of the brain (eg, cerebral cysticercosis)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Biltricide . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticonvulsants (eg, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine), chloroquine, dexamethasone, or rifampin because the effectiveness of Biltricide may be decreased
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), cimetidine, or erythromycin because actions and side effects of Biltricide may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Biltricide may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Biltricide :
Use Biltricide as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Biltricide with a full glass of water during meals.
- Swallow Biltricide whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Take your doses at least 4 hours apart but not more than 6 hours apart unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Biltricide , take it as soon as possible. If it less than 4 hours until your next dose, contact your doctor to see if you need to establish a new dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Biltricide .
Important safety information:
- Biltricide may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous on the day that you use Biltricide and on the following day.
- Use Biltricide with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Biltricide with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 4 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Biltricide , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Biltricide during pregnancy. Biltricide is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are using Biltricide and for 72 hours after you have stopped using Biltricide .
Possible side effects of Biltricide :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; general feeling of being unwell; headache; nausea; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody diarrhea; fever; seizures; severe or persistent vomiting; slow or irregular heartbeat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Biltricide :
Store Biltricide below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Biltricide out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Biltricide , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Biltricide is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Biltricide . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Biltricide Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Biltricide Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Biltricide Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Praziquantel Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)