Bimatoprost SolutionGeneric Name:
Bimatoprost (bye-MAT-oh-prost)Brand Name:
Bimatoprost Solution is used for:
Increasing the length, thickness, and darkness of eyelashes.
Bimatoprost Solution is a prostaglandin analog. Exactly how it works is not known. It may increase the duration of the eyelash growth phase, which results in longer, thicker, and darker eyelashes.
Do NOT use Bimatoprost Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bimatoprost Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bimatoprost Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Bimatoprost Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammation, swelling, infection, or injury of the eye
- if you have a history of increased pressure in your eyes or if you use medicine to treat glaucoma or increased eye pressure.
- if you will be having eye surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bimatoprost Solution. However, no specific interactions with Bimatoprost Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Bimatoprost Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bimatoprost Solution:
Use Bimatoprost Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Bimatoprost Solution. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Use Bimatoprost Solution once nightly unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Soft contact lenses may absorb a chemical in Bimatoprost Solution. Remove contact lenses before you use Bimatoprost Solution; lenses may be placed back in the eyes 15 minutes after use of Bimatoprost Solution.
- Wash your hands and face and remove any makeup before you use Bimatoprost Solution.
- Place one drop of the medicine on the area of the applicator closest to the tip but not on the tip. Immediately draw the applicator carefully across the skin of the upper eyelid margin at the base of the eyelashes (where the eyelashes meet the skin) going from the inner part of your lash line to the outer part. Blot any excess solution beyond the eyelid margin. Throw the applicator away after one use. Repeat this process for the opposite upper eyelid margin using a new sterile applicator. Do not apply Bimatoprost Solution to the lower eyelash line.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip or the tip of the bottle to any surface, including the fingers. Do not reuse applicators and do not use any other brush/applicator to apply Bimatoprost Solution.
- Hair may also grow in other areas where Bimatoprost Solution comes in repeated contact with skin surfaces. It is important to apply it as directed.
- Use Bimatoprost Solution at least 5 minutes apart from any other medicine that you put in your eye.
- If you miss a dose of Bimatoprost Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bimatoprost Solution.
Important safety information:
- Bimatoprost Solution is for use on the eyelid only. If any of Bimatoprost Solution gets into get into your eye it will not cause harm. Do not rinse the eye.
- Bimatoprost Solution may cause the colored part of your eye (iris) to turn brown. This change may be permanent. It may not be noticeable for several months or years. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Bimatoprost Solution may cause your eyelids to darken. This effect usually goes away after you stop using Bimatoprost Solution. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor. Using more will not increase eyelash growth more than using it once nightly as directed.
- If you will be having eye surgery or an eye pressure screening, tell your doctor that you use Bimatoprost Solution.
- Bimatoprost Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Bimatoprost Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Bimatoprost Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Bimatoprost Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Bimatoprost Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Darkening of the eyelid skin; mild burning, dryness, itching, or redness of the eye.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); eye or eyelid discharge, inflammation, irritation, pain, or swelling; severe or persistent burning, dryness, itching, or redness of the eye; severe or persistent eye fatigue; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Bimatoprost Solution:
Store Bimatoprost Solution between 36 and 77 degrees F (2 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bimatoprost Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bimatoprost Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bimatoprost Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- Do not use Bimatoprost Solution for other health conditions.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Bimatoprost Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.