Bio-Throid Generic Name: Thyroid
Examples include Armour Thyroid and Bio-Throid
Bio-Throid should not be used, either alone or with other medicines, for weight loss or to treat obesity. In patients with normal thyroid function, normal daily doses of thyroid hormone are ineffective for weight loss. Large doses may cause serious or life-threatening toxic side effects, especially when used with other medicines that reduce appetite.
Bio-Throid is used for:
Treating underactive thyroid. It is also used for treating or preventing certain goiters and as an aid in diagnosing certain thyroid conditions.
Bio-Throid is a thyroid hormone. It works by replacing thyroid hormones that are not being produced by the body.
Do NOT use Bio-Throid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bio-Throid
- you have certain untreated adrenal gland problems or untreated high thyroid hormone levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bio-Throid :
Some medical conditions may interact with Bio-Throid . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of chest pain, heart attack, heart blood vessel problems, or other heart problems
- if you have a history of diabetes, overactive thyroid, long-term underactive thyroid, infertility, swelling of the skin (particularly around the eyes and cheeks), or pituitary gland problems, or if you will be having surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bio-Throid . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Calcium, cholestyramine, colestipol, estrogen, hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), or iron because they may decrease Bio-Throid 's effectiveness
- Digoxin, insulin, or oral hypoglycemic agents (eg, glyburide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Bio-Throid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Bio-Throid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bio-Throid :
Use Bio-Throid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- How you take Bio-Throid with regard to food may affect how well it is absorbed into your body. Certain types of food (eg, soybean products) may also affect how well Bio-Throid is absorbed. Check with your doctor about how you should take Bio-Throid with regard to food.
- Do not take cholestyramine or colestipol within 6 hours of taking Bio-Throid .
- Take Bio-Throid on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Bio-Throid works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Continue to take Bio-Throid even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Bio-Throid , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bio-Throid .
Important safety information:
- It may take 4 to 6 weeks for you to notice the benefits of Bio-Throid .
- Bio-Throid should not be used to treat fertility problems or obesity in patients who have normal thyroid function because serious and sometimes life-threatening side effects could occur. Large doses of Bio-Throid , especially when taken with diet pills, may cause symptoms of toxicity.
- Children may experience temporary, partial hair loss during the first few months of taking Bio-Throid .
- Diabetes patients - Bio-Throid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Bio-Throid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lab tests, including thyroid function tests, may be performed while you use Bio-Throid . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Bio-Throid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Bio-Throid has not been shown to cause harm to the fetus if you take it while you are pregnant. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. Your dose may need to be changed. Minimal amounts of thyroid hormones are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Bio-Throid , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Bio-Throid :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in appetite; changes in menstrual periods; changes in weight; chest pain; diarrhea; excessive sweating; fast or irregular heartbeat; headache; inability to tolerate warm or hot temperatures; nervousness; pounding in the chest; shortness of breath; trembling; tremors; trouble sleeping; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blood clots in the brain; changes in menstrual periods; coma; diarrhea; fast heart rate; headache; irritability; nervousness; shock; stomach cramps; sweating; tremor; trouble sleeping; weight loss.Proper storage of Bio-Throid :
Store Bio-Throid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bio-Throid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bio-Throid , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bio-Throid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Bio-Throid . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.