Biperiden Generic Name:
Biperiden (bye-PER-i-den)Brand Name:
Biperiden is used for:
Treating Parkinson disease and other Parkinson-like disorders. It is used to treat certain side effects (eg, involuntary movements) caused by certain medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Biperiden is an anticholinergic. It works by helping to correct the chemical imbalance thought to cause Parkinson-type disorders.
Do NOT use Biperiden if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Biperiden
- you have narrow-angle glaucoma, narrowing of the esophagus, stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, ulcerative colitis, megacolon), heart problems caused by bleeding, myasthenia gravis, or difficulty urinating
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Biperiden :
Some medical conditions may interact with Biperiden . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have irregular heartbeat, epilepsy or seizures, an enlarged prostate, or a history of involuntary movements of the tongue, lips, face, or extremities caused by medicines
- if you are at risk for glaucoma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Biperiden . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antihistamines (eg, chlorpheniramine), certain narcotics (eg, meperidine), phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), or certain antiarrhythmics (eg, quinidine) because the risk of side effects, such as dry mouth, difficulty urinating, and constipation, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Biperiden may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Biperiden :
Use Biperiden as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Biperiden may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of Biperiden , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Biperiden .
Important safety information:
- Biperiden may cause blurred vision, dizziness, lightheadedness, or drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Biperiden . Using Biperiden alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Biperiden may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. Alcohol, hot weather, exercise, and fever can increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Also, sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness, lightheadedness, or weakness.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Biperiden .
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or during exercise or other activities because heatstroke may occur.
- Sucking on sugarless hard candy, drinking fluids, or practicing good dental hygiene can relieve dry mouth.
- Use Biperiden with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Biperiden during pregnancy. It is unknown if Biperiden is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking Biperiden , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Biperiden :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Agitation; blurred vision; constipation; dizziness or lightheadedness when sitting up or standing; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); anxiety; behavior changes; chest pain; confusion; disorientation; exaggerated sense of well-being; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; flushing; hallucinations; loss of coordination; memory loss; mood or mental changes; seizures; trouble urinating.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; dilated pupils; disorientation; fast breathing; fast heart rate; fever; hallucination; hot or flushed skin; hyperactivity; loss of consciousness; loss of memory; muscle incoordination; paralysis; seizures.Proper storage of Biperiden :
Store Biperiden at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Biperiden out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Biperiden , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Biperiden is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Biperiden . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Biperiden Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- biperiden Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- biperiden Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information