Bright Beginnings Prenatal BarGeneric Name: Prenatal Multivitamins and Minerals with Iron and Folic Acid
(pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins)Brand Name:
Examples include Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar and Vinatal
Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. Treating or preventing certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
Do NOT use Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism) or Wilson disease (a disorder of copper metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar:
Some medical conditions may interact with Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a bowel disorder (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), certain blood disorders (eg, hemolytic or pernicious anemia, porphyria cutanea tarda, thalassemia), or peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) because side effects, including increased risk of muscle twitches and tremors, nausea, vomiting, numbness in face or extremities, and confusion possibly leading to coma, may be increased by Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar.
- Acitretin, cyclosporine, fluorouracil, and quinidine because actions and side effects may be increased by Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar.
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, or penicillamine because the effectiveness may be decreased by Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar.
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because side effects, including risk of bleeding, may be increased by Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar:
Use Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Check with your pharmacist to see if your brand should be taken with food or on an empty stomach. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar with a full glass of water.
- Avoid taking Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar with dairy products as they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar.
- If you are taking one of the following oral medicines, separate their administration by at least 2 hours: angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), bisphosphonates (eg, etidronate), cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), delavirdine, digoxin, oral corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine).
- If taking Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar with methyldopa, levodopa, or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), administer at least 3 hours apart.
- If you miss a dose of Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar.
Important safety information:
- While you are taking Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar you may notice darkening of stools. This is normal.
- Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar contains iron. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Possible side effects of Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; headache; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar:
Store Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Bright Beginnings Prenatal Bar. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.