Buphenyl PowderGeneric Name: Sodium Phenylbutyrate
(SOE-dee-um FEN-il-BUE-ti-rate)Brand Name:
Buphenyl Powder is used for:
Treating urea cycle (nitrogen or ammonia excretion) disorders along with a prescribed diet.
Buphenyl Powder is a nutritional modifier. It works by helping rid the body of excess nitrogen waste by bypassing the urea cycle.
Do NOT use Buphenyl Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Buphenyl Powder
- you have sudden high levels of ammonia in the blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Buphenyl Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Buphenyl Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have edema (swelling or water retention), heart failure or other heart problems, high blood pressure, or kidney or liver disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Buphenyl Powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), haloperidol, or valproic acid because these medicines increase blood ammonia levels
- Probenecid because it may increase the actions of Buphenyl Powder and the risk of Buphenyl Powder's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Buphenyl Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Buphenyl Powder:
Use Buphenyl Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Buphenyl Powder. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Buphenyl Powder orally (by mouth, gastrostomy, or nasogastric tube) with meals.
- Buphenyl Powder must be mixed with food or a liquid before you take it. If you mix Buphenyl Powder with food (solid or liquid), you must take it right away. If you mix Buphenyl Powder with water, it may be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to one week for later use.
- Do not mix Buphenyl Powder with coffee, tea, or grapefruit, orange, or tomato juice.
- Shake lightly before each use.
- Use the measuring device included with your medicine. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- It is very important that your full dose for a 24-hour period is taken. The total daily dose should be taken in equally divided amounts (3 to 6 times per day).
- It is very important to follow the prescribed diet given to you by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Buphenyl Powder, take it as soon as possible that same day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Buphenyl Powder.
Important safety information:
- Follow the diet plan given to you by your health care provider.
- Carry an ID card at all times that states that you have a urea cycle disorder.
- Lab tests, including blood tests for ammonia and acid levels, may be performed while you use Buphenyl Powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Buphenyl Powder can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Buphenyl Powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if Buphenyl Powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take Buphenyl Powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Buphenyl Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bad taste in the mouth; body odor; decreased appetite; absent or irregular menstrual periods.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased hearing; disorientation; headache; lightheadedness; memory problems; sleepiness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Buphenyl Powder:
Store Buphenyl Powder at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. After opening, keep the bottle tightly closed. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Buphenyl Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Buphenyl Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Buphenyl Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Buphenyl Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Buphenyl Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Buphenyl Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Buphenyl Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information