Calan Immediate-Release TabletsGeneric Name: Verapamil
Calan Immediate-Release Tablets are used for:
Treating high blood pressure and chronic stable angina (chest pain). It may be used alone or with other medicines. It is also used for treating and preventing supraventricular tachycardia (a rhythm disturbance of the heart) and for controlling heart rate response to other rhythm disturbances, specifically atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Calan Immediate-Release Tablets are a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing (dilating) your blood vessels, lowering blood pressure, and decreasing heart rate, which lowers the workload on the heart. It also dilates coronary arteries, increasing blood flow to the heart. It also works by slowing the electrical conduction in the heart, slowing heart rate, and/or normalizing heart rhythm.
Calcium channel blockers do not affect calcium levels in the blood or calcium in the bones.
Do NOT use Calan Immediate-Release Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Calan Immediate-Release Tablets
- you have certain heart problems (eg, left-ventricular dysfunction, sick sinus syndrome, second- or third-degree heart block and do not have a pacemaker), very low blood pressure, or moderate to severe congestive heart failure
- you have atrial fibrillation or flutter and a pre-excitation syndrome (extra conduction pathway in the heart), such as Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome (WPW) or Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome (LGL)
- you have shock caused by serious heart problems
- you are taking dofetilide
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Calan Immediate-Release Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Calan Immediate-Release Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure or a recent heart attack with lung congestion, low blood pressure, or heart problems (eg, a very slow heart rate, heart block, heart valve disease)
- if you have kidney or liver problems, muscular dystrophy, or a neuromuscular disease
- if you are taking another blood pressure medicine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Calan Immediate-Release Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), disopyramide, ketolides (eg, telithromycin), or macrolides (eg, erythromycin) because the actions and side effects of Calan Immediate-Release Tablets, some potentially life-threatening, may be increased
- Phenobarbital, rifampin, or St. John's wort because they may decrease Calan Immediate-Release Tablets's effectiveness
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), other blood pressure medicines, carbamazepine, colchicine, cyclosporine, digitoxin, digoxin, dofetilide, dronedarone, eletriptan, erythromycin, everolimus, flecainide, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, lovastatin, simvastatin), lithium, narcotic pain relievers (fentanyl), nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, atracurium), quinazolines (eg, metolazone), quinidine, ranolazine, theophyllines, or tolvaptan because their actions and the risk of their side effects, some potentially life-threatening, may be increased by Calan Immediate-Release Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Calan Immediate-Release Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Calan Immediate-Release Tablets:
Use Calan Immediate-Release Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Calan Immediate-Release Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you use Calan Immediate-Release Tablets.
- If you miss a dose of Calan Immediate-Release Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Calan Immediate-Release Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Calan Immediate-Release Tablets may cause dizziness or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Calan Immediate-Release Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Calan Immediate-Release Tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Calan Immediate-Release Tablets may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, complete blood cell count, and blood pressure may be performed while you use Calan Immediate-Release Tablets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Calan Immediate-Release Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Calan Immediate-Release Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Calan Immediate-Release Tablets while you are pregnant. Calan Immediate-Release Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Calan Immediate-Release Tablets.
Possible side effects of Calan Immediate-Release Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; fatigue; headache; light-headedness; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; lightheadedness, especially when standing; severe dizziness; shortness of breath; swelling of the feet or hands; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased mental status; dizziness; loss of consciousness; shortness of breath; slow or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Calan Immediate-Release Tablets:
Store Calan Immediate-Release Tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Calan Immediate-Release Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Calan Immediate-Release Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calan Immediate-Release Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Calan Immediate-Release Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calan Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Calan Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Calan Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Calan Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Verapamil Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Calan SR Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Covera-HS Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Isoptin SR Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Verelan Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Verelan PM Prescribing Information (FDA)