Calan SR Controlled-Release TabletsGeneric Name: Verapamil
Examples include Calan SR and Isoptin SR
Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets are used for:
Treating high blood pressure. It may be used alone or with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets are a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing (dilating) your blood vessels, which lowers blood pressure.
Do NOT use Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets
- you have certain heart problems (eg, left-ventricular dysfunction, sick sinus syndrome, second- or third-degree heart block and do not have a pacemaker), very low blood pressure, or moderate to severe congestive heart failure (CHF)
- you have atrial fibrillation or flutter and a pre-excitation syndromes (extra conduction pathway in the heart), such as Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome (WPW) or Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome (LGL)
- you have shock due to serious heart problems
- you are taking dofetilide
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure or a recent heart attack with lung congestion; low blood pressure; heart problems (eg, a very slow heart rate, heart block, heart valve disease)
- if you have kidney or liver problems, muscular dystrophy, or a neuromuscular disease
- if you are taking another blood pressure medicine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), disopyramide, ketolides (eg, telithromycin), or macrolides (eg, erythromycin) because the actions and the risk of side effects of Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets, some potentially life-threatening, may be increased
- Phenobarbital, rifampin, or St. John's wort because they may decrease Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets's effectiveness
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), other blood pressure medicines, carbamazepine, colchicine, cyclosporine, digitoxin, digoxin, dofetilide, dronedarone, eletriptan, erythromycin, everolimus, flecainide, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, lovastatin, simvastatin), lithium, narcotic pain relievers (eg, fentanyl), nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, atracurium), quinazolines (eg, metolazone), quinidine, ranolazine, theophyllines, or tolvaptan because the actions and the risk of side effects, some potentially life-threatening, may be increased by Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets:
Use Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you use Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets.
- Swallow Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets whole. Do not crush or chew before swallowing.
- Taking Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, complete blood cell counts, and blood pressure, may be performed while you use Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets while you are pregnant. Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets.
Possible side effects of Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; fatigue; general feeling of being unwell; headache; lightheadedness; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dark urine; fever; lightheadedness, especially when standing; severe dizziness; shortness of breath; swelling of the feet or hands; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased mental status; dizziness; loss of consciousness; seizures; shortness of breath; slow or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets:
Store Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Calan SR Controlled-Release Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.