Calcipotriene SolutionGeneric Name:
Calcipotriene (kal-sih-POE-try-een)Brand Name:
Calcipotriene Solution is used for:
Treating moderately severe psoriasis of the scalp. It my also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Calcipotriene Solution is a synthetic vitamin D3 analog. It works by regulating skin cell production and development.
Do NOT use Calcipotriene Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Calcipotriene Solution
- you have high blood levels of vitamin D or high calcium levels in your blood or urine
- you are currently having a psoriasis breakout
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Calcipotriene Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Calcipotriene Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney stones
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Calcipotriene Solution. However, no specific interactions with Calcipotriene Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Calcipotriene Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Calcipotriene Solution:
Use Calcipotriene Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a thin layer of Calcipotriene Solution to the affected area. Rub in Calcipotriene Solution gently and completely.
- Do not apply Calcipotriene Solution to parts of your scalp that are not affected by psoriasis.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Calcipotriene Solution.
- If you miss a dose of Calcipotriene Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Calcipotriene Solution.
Important safety information:
- Several weeks may pass before your symptoms improve. Do not stop using Calcipotriene Solution without checking with your doctor.
- Calcipotriene Solution is for external use only. Avoid contact with the face and the eyes. If you get Calcipotriene Solution on your face or in your eyes, wash out immediately with cool tap water.
- Calcipotriene Solution is flammable. Do not store or use Calcipotriene Solution near an open flame.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Calcipotriene Solution may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Calcipotriene Solution. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Calcipotriene Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Calcipotriene Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Calcipotriene Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Calcipotriene Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Calcipotriene Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry skin; peeling.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, itching, or worsening of your condition; skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Calcipotriene Solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Calcipotriene Solution:
Store Calcipotriene Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep the container tightly closed. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Calcipotriene Solution out of the reach of children and pets.
- If you have any questions about Calcipotriene Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calcipotriene Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is summary only. It does not contain all information about Calcipotriene Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dovonex Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Dovonex Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Dovonex Consumer Overview