Calcium Carbonate Chewable TabletsGeneric Name:
Calcium Carbonate (KAL-see-um KAR-bo-nate)Brand Name:
Examples include Tums and Tums Kids
Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets are used for:
Treating heartburn, sour stomach, acid indigestion, and upset stomach caused by these conditions. It is also used to treat or prevent calcium deficiency. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets are an antacid. It works by neutralizing acid in the stomach. It also works to treat or prevent calcium deficiency by providing extra calcium to the body.
Do NOT use Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets
- you have high blood calcium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have high blood phosphate levels or high calcium levels
- if you have appendicitis, heart problems, parathyroid problems, hardening of the arteries, kidney problems, kidney stones, stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage of your bowel, stomach bleeding), or inflammatory problems (eg, sarcoidosis)
- if you take digoxin or if you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines.
Ask your health care provider if Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets:
Use Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets well before you swallow it.
- If you take an azole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole), a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), certain cephalosporins (eg, cefpodoxime), iron, mycophenolate, a quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin), a cation exchange resin (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline), or a thyroid hormone, ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take them with Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets.
- If you miss a dose of Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- This product may contain tartrazine dye (FD&C Yellow No. 5). This may cause an allergic reaction in some patients. If you have ever had an allergic reaction to tartrazine, ask your pharmacist if your product has tartrazine in it.
- Different brands of Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Follow the dosing instructions on the package labeling. If your doctor has given you instructions, follow those. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets:
Store Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets at room temperature, below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Calcium Carbonate Chewable Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Titralac Consumer Overview
- Tums Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)