Calcium/Simethicone Chewable TabletsGeneric Name:
Calcium/Simethicone (KAL-see-uhm/si-METH-i-kone)Brand Name:
Examples include Titralac Plus and Tums Plus
Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets are used for:
Treating acid indigestion, heartburn, gas, and sour stomach. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets are an antacid and antiflatulent. It works by neutralizing acid in the stomach. It also helps to break up gas bubbles in the stomach, allowing it to be passed through the system more comfortably.
Do NOT use Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets
- you are also taking citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
- you have a history of high blood calcium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease, kidney problems, appendicitis, diarrhea, a stomach blockage, or an ileostomy
- if you have recently had stomach bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) and citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives) because the actions and side effects of Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets may be increased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), quinidine, or sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide) because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroids (eg, hydrocortisone), cyclosporine, delavirdine, digoxin, imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), or verapamil because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased, especially when taken at the same time as Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets:
Use Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets may be taken with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing. Drink a glass of water after swallowing.
- Do not use Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets within 2 hours before or after taking a beta-blocker (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonate (eg, risedronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroid (eg, hydrocortisone), delavirdine, digoxin, imidazole (eg, ketoconazole), penicillamine, or sulfonylurea (eg, glyburide) because Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets may decrease the effectiveness of these medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use the maximum dose for more than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 2 weeks or if they become worse, or if you experience black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds, check with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets:
Store Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets in a tightly closed container at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Calcium/Simethicone Chewable Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.