Calcium/Simethicone SuspensionGeneric Name:
Calcium/Simethicone (KAL-see-um/si-METH-i-kone)Brand Name:
Calcium/Simethicone Suspension is used for:
Treating acid indigestion, heartburn, gas, and sour stomach. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Calcium/Simethicone Suspension is an antacid and antiflatulent. It works by neutralizing acid in the stomach. It also helps to break up gas bubbles in the stomach, allowing it to be passed through the system more comfortably.
Do NOT use Calcium/Simethicone Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Calcium/Simethicone Suspension
- you are also taking citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
- you have a history of high blood calcium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Calcium/Simethicone Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Calcium/Simethicone Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease, sarcoidosis, kidney problems, kidney stones, appendicitis, diarrhea, high levels of calcium in the urine, a stomach or intestinal blockage, low parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels, or an ileostomy
- if you have recently had stomach bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Calcium/Simethicone Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) and citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives) because the actions and side effects of Calcium/Simethicone Suspension may be increased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), quinidine, or sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide) because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroids (eg, hydrocortisone), cyclosporine, delavirdine, digoxin, imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), or verapamil because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased, especially when taken at the same time as Calcium/Simethicone Suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Calcium/Simethicone Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Calcium/Simethicone Suspension:
Use Calcium/Simethicone Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Calcium/Simethicone Suspension may be taken with or without food.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Do not use Calcium/Simethicone Suspension within 2 hours before or after taking a beta-blocker (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonate (eg, risedronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroid (eg, hydrocortisone), delavirdine, digoxin, imidazole (eg, ketoconazole), penicillamine, or sulfonylurea (eg, glyburide) because Calcium/Simethicone Suspension may decrease the effectiveness of these medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Calcium/Simethicone Suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Calcium/Simethicone Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use the maximum dose for more than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 2 weeks or if they become worse, or if you experience black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds, check with your doctor.
- Different products may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN on the package labeling. Follow the dosing instructions provided on the package labeling or by your doctor. If you are unsure of which dose to give a child, check with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Calcium/Simethicone Suspension, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Calcium/Simethicone Suspension during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Calcium/Simethicone Suspension, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Calcium/Simethicone Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; frequent urination; increased stomach pain; irritability; loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting, including vomit that looks like coffee grounds; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Calcium/Simethicone Suspension:
Store Calcium/Simethicone Suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Calcium/Simethicone Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Calcium/Simethicone Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calcium/Simethicone Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Calcium/Simethicone Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.