Caprylidene Generic Name:
Caprylidene (cap-RIL-i-deen)Brand Name:
Caprylidene is used for:
Dietary management of patients with Alzheimer disease.
Caprylidene is a medical food. It works by increasing ketone levels in the blood, which may help to provide energy to the brain in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Do NOT use Caprylidene if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Caprylidene
- you are allergic to milk or soy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Caprylidene :
Some medical conditions may interact with Caprylidene . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances, including palm or coconut oil
- if you have a history of kidney problems, stomach or bowel problems (eg, irritable bowel, inflammation, diverticulitis), or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- if you have diabetes that is not well controlled
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse or dependence
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Caprylidene . However, no specific interactions with Caprylidene are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Caprylidene may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Caprylidene :
Use Caprylidene as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Caprylidene by mouth with breakfast.
- Add Caprylidene to 4 to 8 oz (120 to 240 mL) of water. Shake until completely mixed. Drink right away after mixing.
- If you miss a dose of Caprylidene , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Caprylidene .
Important safety information:
- Caprylidene may cause nausea, diarrhea, gas, heartburn, or upset stomach. Nonprescription medicines (eg, antacids, antidiarrheal medicines, simethicone) may help to decrease these symptoms. Discuss any questions about the appropriate use of nonprescription medicines with your pharmacist.
- If nausea, diarrhea, gas, or upset stomach persist or are severe, check with your doctor. Your dose may need to be lowered until the symptoms go away.
- Lab tests, including triglyceride levels, may be performed while you use Caprylidene . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Caprylidene while you are pregnant. It is not known if Caprylidene is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Caprylidene , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Caprylidene :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; headache; heartburn; gas; nausea; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include severe diarrhea.Proper storage of Caprylidene :
Store Caprylidene at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Caprylidene out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Caprylidene , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Caprylidene is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Caprylidene . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.