Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin SuspensionGeneric Name:
Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin (kar-bay-ta-PEN-tane/gwye-FEN-e-sin)Brand Name:
Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension is used for:
Relieving unproductive cough and reducing mucus in the chest due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension is a cough suppressant and expectorant combination. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex. The expectorant works by thinning mucus (phlegm) in the lungs, making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This makes coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension
- you are taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) with the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough due to smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, prostate problems, an overactive thyroid, diabetes, or glaucoma
- if you have phenylketonuria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because they may increase the risk of Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension:
Use Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension may cause drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not use Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension for a cough with a lot of mucous. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension.
- Caution is advised when using Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include restlessness; seizures; severe agitation.Proper storage of Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension:
Store Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Carbetapentane/Guaifenesin Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.