Carmol HC Generic Name: Hydrocortisone/Urea
Examples include Carmol HC and U-cort
Carmol HC is used for:
Treating inflammation and itching due to certain skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carmol HC is a topical adrenocortical steroid. It works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation) in a way that is not clearly understood.
Do NOT use Carmol HC if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Carmol HC
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Carmol HC :
Some medical conditions may interact with Carmol HC . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have had a recent vaccination; have measles, tuberculosis, chickenpox, or shingles; or have had a positive tuberculosis test
- if you have asthma
- if you are taking prednisone or similar medicines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Carmol HC . Because little, if any, of Carmol HC is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Carmol HC may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Carmol HC :
Use Carmol HC as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Carmol HC , unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or cover the treated skin area unless directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Carmol HC , apply it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not apply 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Carmol HC .
Important safety information:
- Carmol HC is for external use only. Do not get Carmol HC in your eyes. If contact is made with the eyes, flush them immediately with tap water.
- If Carmol HC is applied to the diaper area, apply a very small amount and do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while using Carmol HC .
- Do not use Carmol HC for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Carmol HC has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Carmol HC .
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Carmol HC while you are pregnant. It is not known if Carmol HC is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Carmol HC , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Carmol HC :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; itching.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using Carmol HC ; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Carmol HC :
Store Carmol HC at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Carmol HC out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Carmol HC , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carmol HC is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Carmol HC . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carmol HC Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Carmol HC Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Keratol HC Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information